A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 9th October 2012, 09:00 AM

Given the catastrophic failure of the tyre I think you were lucky Mike to make a controlled stop. Glad you are OK. Would you recommend Federal tyres after that experience?
Old 9th October 2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Given the catastrophic failure of the tyre I think you were lucky Mike to make a controlled stop. Glad you are OK. Would you recommend Federal tyres after that experience?
After a few years fitting tyres this type of failure is not restricted to cheaper or lesser known brands, it only takes a small defect in manufacture or even a pothole catching the iner edge of the tyre and causing an “egg” in the inside wall combined with heat and pressure and BANG. That tyre has also been run flat for a bit too as seen by the black dust so the rip would have been smaller to start with.

What i will say is that Michelin always wanted the casing back to check it, as all the manufacturing deatails are on it, where, when ect.

Well held though Mike just as well you were not on a flyer. That said how’d the car track with the flat, when I had the front one go it was quite hard to tell really. I know how that sounds (you must be pretty stupid not to realise) what I mean is the 8 tracked well with a flat on the front, it would have done 20 – 30 mph no problems at all with the front tyre flapping around.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
. That said how’d the car track with the flat, when I had the front one go it was quite hard to tell really. I know how that sounds (you must be pretty stupid not to realise) what I mean is the 8 tracked well with a flat on the front, it would have done 20 – 30 mph no problems at all with the front tyre flapping around.
I had a puncture the other day on the nearside front. (Nail clean through the main surface - not a sidewall) and the car immediatley started pulling to the left as it started deflating. I was at 30mph. It was very noticeable so I managed to stop before any further damage occurred.
Old 9th October 2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
That said how’d the car track with the flat, when I had the front one go it was quite hard to tell really. I know how that sounds (you must be pretty stupid not to realise) what I mean is the 8 tracked well with a flat on the front, it would have done 20 – 30 mph no problems at all with the front tyre flapping around.
I had front offside go on my 4.2 QS D2 at about 95 mph on the M6 toll road - I seriously only knew because of the smell.

4 up in the car, I'm like "anyone smell that, what is it?"

I even took my hands off the wheel to see if she was still tracking straight - she was!

I can only assume that despite the deflation, the speed of the revolution of the wheel somehow kept everything together
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 9th October 2012, 10:37 AM

The lower the profile, the more likely it is to track properly as mentioned earlier.

Runflats are basically just thicker sidewalls, so if you look at low-profile XL tyres, they have thicker sidewalls, especially if they have rim protectors.

I know.. I know..

Old 9th October 2012, 09:01 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

I reckon hat the Tyre had been flat from when I had gone onto the A38. The bang was probably the side wall detaching. I had been running straight and steady for a while following my son. I must have picked up the puncture a while back and run flat for 25 miles or so. They were fitted new in 2010 and had done about 18k.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:45 PM

Just thinking back.. had a similar incident in a J-plate Cav SRi (one of the last 8v 130hp ones), felt it twitch heavily coming from the M77 on to the M8 (for those in the know), twitched again coming on to the bridge and by the time I pulled over on the North side, it was in a similar state, smoking away quite merrily, but no bang,inside was trashed though.

I know.. I know..

Old 9th October 2012, 11:53 PM

It does look like it has been run a fair bit after the puncture

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 10th October 2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
I reckon hat the Tyre had been flat from when I had gone onto the A38. The bang was probably the side wall detaching. I had been running straight and steady for a while following my son. I must have picked up the puncture a while back and run flat for 25 miles or so. They were fitted new in 2010 and had done about 18k.
Just a tyre mate at least you're alright and more importantly the 8's ok

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 10th October 2012, 04:10 PM

Just stick the picture of the good side on ebay with the words "Tyre for sale,may require puncture repair ,6mm of tread" That will sell