A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 6th January 2011, 12:14 PM

Default One for the Vag-Com Guru's. Question about lowering my D3 Air suspension.

Ok, firstly I would like to add, I have very minimal understanding of this Vag Com malarky, so please bear with me

As most know, I use '8's for chauffeuring. Now, the silver car in my sig is having a nice overhaul. I have just fitted an S8 front end and I am looking to get some 20" alloys soon.

Now, my question is....

I know the '8's with air suspension can be lowered in vag com, but is there any way of lowering just 1 setting of the air suspension (e.g just dynamic-so that as opposed to lowering it -20mm it lowers it say -40mm??)

Ideally I don't want the comfort setting any different you see-as I need to keep the ride as comfortable as possible (which is why at first I wanted to stick with 19's - but 20's do look so much better...if I can lower 1 setting only I will buy 20's you see )

Also does anyone know whether this is something Ben can do at AVP?? I know it's a bloody long way for me to go from down here, but I have heard so many good things about him that I can't ignore his reputation, my baby girl deserves only the best

Any help or pointers as to where I may find answers would be greatly appreciated.

Bex

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 6th January 2011, 03:58 PM

Basically... No.

with VCDS, you are telling the car that the suspension calibration is lower than it was, and it uses that for all suspension options as it's an offset. Though ot sure if that makes any difference to the handling with it being air suspension. I don't really notice anything on my D3 at the different settings (and once you reach a certain speed it's in the lowest position anyway).

I know.. I know..

Old 6th January 2011, 04:24 PM

Sorry but ive been told differently.

Company in the midlands just set Dynamic to lower an extra 20mm and comfort stays the same?>??

i purchased the lowering links, as i wanted to go low without telling the car that its low (could knock the ACC out)

but lowering that much (about 100mm) really ruined the ride quality unless in lift mode.

but i would settle for lowering the dynamic mode an extra 20-25mm which is what i belive that company in the midlands do for about 40quid

shark performance rings a bell?
Old 6th January 2011, 04:46 PM

Hmm, conflicting opinions. Don't you just love us girls

OK I will look into this a little more, Nathan thanks for your info, I will also speak to Ben at some point soon to see what he thinks.

Any more input is greatly appreciated, would be nice to hear if anyone has actually ahd this done??

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.

Last edited by A8L Chick; 6th January 2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 6th January 2011, 04:49 PM

theres a guy on vwaudiforum or on here with a white A8 hes had it done from memory

when i spoke to the company on the phone they confirmed my comfort setting would stay the same and dynamic would go lower.

i also chauffered a few music stars around so this was a must at the time.

i bought the links for giggles as they were only 150quid and i could lower it silly amounts.

you might have seen the thread on DW

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/othe...d-spacers.html

and BTW if your looking for a driver <-----------
Old 6th January 2011, 05:00 PM

That sounds like Robert-I will ask him cheers.

I will bear in mind with regards to needing drivers. I have 3 atm and thats enough for now

Old 6th January 2011, 07:32 PM

It was Robert that had shark lower it, but as far as I know, that was the VCDS recalibration which lowers it in general, but that's maybe just a calibration point for the lowest setting.

There is a module about that does some more clever work with it that you install in the car (MTM Cantronic), but not sure on costs, etc.

I know.. I know..

Old 6th January 2011, 07:57 PM

Jikes, thats pricey!!!

I will speak to shark

Old 6th January 2011, 08:12 PM

You cannot go wrong with Ben at Shark, he really knows his stuff.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 6th January 2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
You cannot go wrong with Ben at Shark, he really knows his stuff.
Aah thats good to know thanks guys. Does anyone know a cost for the lowering to be done???