A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 24th March 2015, 08:43 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornershop View Post
Is there a ready made gap/hole for the lead to pass through to the RNS-D in that space? Would prefer not to have to drill holes if possible
Unfortunately not.

I hate having to make holes too and I was very reluctant to at first. But in the end I figured, well, it's out of sight, and I could easily replace the plastic parts later, if I ever decide to take it out. Cut neatly, you could probably even make a near-invisible repair to the hole by cutting a plastic insert.

Quote:
Where have you mounted the wired mic, assuming you fitted it?
I haven't yet. Give me chance, I only fitted the unit about a year ago!

I did attach and test the mic but I haven't gotten around to running the cable yet. It should be a simple matter of tucking it behind the A-Pillar, depending on where it's going. I haven't had the incentive though to be honest, since I still use the OEM car phone cradle and a prehistoric Nokia 6310i for making hands-free calls. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I use with the XCarLink for playing music, but I don't use that phone for calls. I've tried a couple of other Android-based phones and tablets with the XCarLink too, and they worked well.

Quote:
Also, can you control using the RNS-D?
Other than volume, there's some basic track forward/backward control, depending on phone/app compatibility, but generally it's better/easier to use the phone/tablet to select tracks. To select the device, you just use the RNS-D to select the CD changer (which still works, you just have to select CD again).

Note that the USB socket is only for charging; you can't connect devices to the USB socket to play music.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 24th March 2015, 08:56 AM

I've played around with the mic on mine, initially put it in the OEM position behind the grille by the sunroof controls.
But it's not very good there so when refitting (the mic is still in there) I'll move it, probably to the right of the driver somewhere fairly unobtrusive.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 24th March 2015, 11:19 AM

Thanks both for the feedback - now to find a thread showing how to remove the RnS-d
Old 24th March 2015, 11:30 AM

Easy, just slide the 4 removal tools in and pull gently.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 24th March 2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post

Note that the USB socket is only for charging; you can't connect devices to the USB socket to play music.

again for info the Connects2 device will play music from line in (MP3 Player or Phone etc) SD card and USB stick

also when I bought my car it had a hands free kit fitted so didnt need that option, pic in this thread shows where mic is mounted, it works very well

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...=parrot&page=2

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 24th March 2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 28th July 2015, 03:23 PM

My Xcarlink RNS-D Ipod interafce arrived today.

I was planning on having the leads and ipod hidden away in the glove box. Would I need to cut a hole in the side of the glove box to allow the cable to feed in when it's closed or is there enough gap when it's shut?

What's the method for gaining access to the back of the centre console?

I'm dreading trying to fit this, I know it's going to end in tears and a lot of rude words.
Old 28th July 2015, 03:46 PM

Nope, there's enough space to run the big cable across into the glovebox.

To pull the RNS-D out you'll need 4 radio removal keys. Once they click in, they lock and unit pulls out
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 28th July 2015, 04:47 PM

I used to have mine in the glovebox but am in the process of moving it to the drivers knee panel area.
It's a tight fit for the multicore cable which gets squashed, but it will go in the glovebox.

There's not a lot of room behind the RNS-D. If your big connector block is multipart/multicolour and splits (like the one on the short adapter cable supplied for installation) you can split the plugs on the end of the loom (to loop the new cable in) and save somewhat on the wiring and plug volume.

Might not make sense as written here, but when you look at reality it should become clear.

Last edited by HPsauce; 28th July 2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 28th July 2015, 06:39 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil303 View Post
What's the method for gaining access to the back of the centre console?

I'm dreading trying to fit this, I know it's going to end in tears and a lot of rude words.
Getting the RNS-D out is easy. As Conquistador says, 4 radio removal keys and pull.

It's getting it back in that's the hard part!

Actually, when you get used to pulling it in and out, it gets easier (said the actress to the bishop). Watch the cables behind as you slide it back in. In particular, watch none get trapped between the back of the set and the rear support bracket. If you find it won't go all the way back in easily, check for trapped cables.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 28th July 2015, 07:37 PM

Call me Elsa, the ICE Queen! It works!!

Er, actually forget the first part of that opening sentence. The important part is that it works, and so far the car hasn't combusted or imploded.

The supplied manual wasn't abundantly clear but with a bit of patience and head scratching it became clear.

Cable feeds nicely into the glove box where the Xcarlink box and iPod will live. Thanks to AndyCaca for coming to the rescue with 2 extra removal keys when I naively tried to get the unit out using the 2 supplied keys. You need 4 for a reason, I can see that now.