A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Owners Meets

Owners Meets Any info for any meetings, events, track days

Old 19th April 2011, 11:21 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Just a wee taster of things to come.......

Video

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 19th April 2011, 02:16 PM

Well, it's sunny outside and I should be out playing in it, but I'm at my desk feeling melancholy. The come down from such a fantastic weekend was always going to be hard.

What a four days, huge highs amidst some shocking lows, but still overall it was absolutely fantastic. I had my share of disappointments, but I still desperately want to go back. In fact I am questioning why I even bothered coming back to work today, such is my desire to be back in Adenau right now.

So what happened? Well from my perspective it started with an early start leaving my place at 5am to get to Dover for 7am. Met up with Mike, Ben and Darren in the queue to board the ferry. Priority boarding is a must!! And from the first moment to last the banter started and never stopped, no mercy, no quarter given for misfortune, just the way it should be. I lost count of the number of times we were laughing to the point of tears.

Off the boat the drive to Adenau was relaxed, the banter on the radios chirpy and the weather was beautiful. Had a quick legal chase after a prototype Ford Focus at one point, just as we crossed into Germany from Holland, the Focus driver floored it, from 80mph up to 130mph there was nothing in it.... We arrived at the hotel and set about relaxing with a few cold tinnies as we planned the weekend to come.

Saturday was when I was personally plunged into the depth of despair. Having had concerns about the colouration on my front discs, I asked Ben to quickly check the brakes for me. With little or no exaggeration, that probably saved my life, quite simply my front brake pads were wrecked. Pad material was broken and cracked and simply fell off the backing plate when Ben managed to prize them out of the calliper. So right then I knew my chances of using my car were virtually gone. I spent a fruitless hour trying to track down a new set of pads, eventually having to order a set for Monday delivery, to ensure I could at least drive home. We then met up with Chris, who had ridden all the way up from Stuttgart on his bike to meet us. Top fella. Later on a work colleague of mine also joined us. later that evening when the circuit was eventually opened, Darren very graciously let me drive the first half lap in his car with my friend in the front passenger seat. The other good news was I had arranged to pick up a set of brake pads on Sunday morning, through a guy who had a shop in Adenau. I had to pay the ring premium over UK prices, 100% extra, but I was going to get to drive. As Saturday drew to a close we sat on the balcony of the hotel, beers in hand knowing tomorrow was going to be spectacular.

Sunday was spectacular for all the right and wrong reasons. Ben twirled the spanners again with out any complaint. Thank you mate for all your help, you were brilliant. I eventually got running for the afternoon, during which me and Ben reduced my new brake pads to smoking wrecks, though with no real damage done to them. What a circuit, the changes in elevation result in real ear popping moments as you climb and fall with the contours of the road. Everything on and in the car, including your nerves are pushed to their limits, and the prize is a feeling of complete ecstacy when you finish a lap.

Monday, was the run home, complete with the nagging thought that August couldn't come too soon. I have already booked my room for Edersee and Adenau. There was still time for one or two last hurrah's, including a GPS verified 157mph on the Autobahn. Thank you Ben once again, the remap is stunning a there is easily more in the car. We also got to see that both mine and Darren's cars are absolutely equal post remap, proving the consistency of Revo's work. Rolling on from 60mph to err cough mph, both cars where exactly level. The video Mike posted was from a later try after the first run, unfortunately right at the start of that squirt, my car kicked down leaving me a fraction slower. Ohh and not forgetting the tunnel run

We had to leave Mike's car behind, but he was making exciting plans for the future on the way home, deep in conversation and thought on how to proceed. I believe he is now a firm fan of the 40V engine!! We met some good people on the trip, including three lads from Cumbria in a half dead Civic who had the right idea.

I have already begun to plan what to do for the next trip. I'll leave you with an opinion for which I make no apologies. The weekend was the most fantastic you can imagine for anyone who professes to like cars and driving. It is so easy to get there and drive the circuit, you have no excuse not too, but your own indifference.
Old 19th April 2011, 03:35 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Nice factual report there from Refro. Now for one with special facts (CtL version)!

The run down was as described, myself, Darren and Ben had stayed in the Premier Inn Dover East; No bar without a 3 day camel hike. Premier Inn Dover West has a bar but an iffy open car park. Priority boarding on the ferry worked a charm, straight to the front and first off and heading out of France. Two stops on the way down for fuel and food and we were at the hotel. I had the first of my scares when I thought the alternator was on it's way out but Eddy, the hotel owner was very helpful and we found a possible supplier but at an eye watering 961 euros. Feck that. AS it was there was no fault, I had left my nitrous bottle heater on and its 350 watts extra load. With that off all was back to normal.
A word on the hotel. We stayed and the www.hotel-an-der-nordschleife.de - www.theringhotel.de and Eddy Mathey, the owner, is very laid back, extremely helpful and a jolly nice bloke. He lent us a garage to use for our extra kit and provided a trolley jack and stands so we could do brake work and swap tyres etc.

Some photo's of course....

The track tyres loaded..........

The tyres were second hand, but little used Toyo R888s. They went on the 18" QS wheels I had refurbished and were fitted with a TPMS. My S8 wore them on the Saturday and early Sunday and I must say 'what a difference, WHAT A DIFFERENCE'. I was going to get some cheap track tyres but supply became an issue. Now I have used these I will use nothing else. All the worry about adhesion and under-steer our big heavy 8s have are almost totally negated. After the first lap and a half I was throwing the car into corners at speed I would never have dared on my road tyres. When I switch back to my road tyres I felt the difference, especially under hard breaking from speed and in the big drifting corners.
More photos.............
We were of course fully prepared for the weekend.................

And because we were prepared the competition stood no chance...................

Then disaster for me. As I descended into Adenau Bridge and started to accelerate across it before the left hand climb the engine just shut down. Fortunately I managed to roll back through the gates at the half way entry point; so no 600 euro tow fee. Now wasn't that lucky! A quick inspection of the engine showed the crank bolt had come out and the cam drive cog was out of its housing so the cambelt had come off. Undoubtable there will be multiple bent valves
More photos:
Us parked up in the overflow car park, sun shining, as dry as a dry thing in a river bed in death valley on a hot day.

A passengers eye view of the entrance to 'Death to English cars corner'. Not is real name, just what I called it to spice things up a bit.....

Not any of us, but one of the vantage points you can stand at and wait for crashes

Which is what Darren is doing............

Gotta go, I'll do part 2 later

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 19th April 2011, 08:47 PM

looks like you guys had a great time, sorry i missed it.
i guess this engine problem will give you an excuse to make the s8 much faster mike. john
Old 19th April 2011, 09:15 PM

A quote from a message I received from my friend Bodo: "Please take regards to all guys, every time I will visit Brünnchen, I will remember the ride on a rocket S8 of scary Mike!"

A few links to photos from the myriad of guys at the track

http://www.circle-driver.de/gallery/...1.html?pic=561

http://pkoza.de/nuerburgring/1704201.../DSC_0263.html

http://www.circle-driver.de/gallery/...011.html?pic=9

http://www.circle-driver.de/gallery/...11.html?pic=26

http://www.circle-driver.de/gallery/...11.html?pic=27

http://www.tourifotos.de/displayimag..._display_media

http://www.tourifotos.de/displayimag..._display_media

Last edited by Reffro; 19th April 2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:04 PM

Excellent write ups and pics chaps, these adventures beat "Top Gear" ones any day!! Thanks for sharing. . . .
Ahemm was that a ford fiesta up your chuff here Mike??

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 19th April 2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 20th April 2011, 09:55 AM

The fogs in this shot look really bright - are they xenon retrofit, or brighter bulbs, or is it a trick of the camera?!

http://www.circle-driver.de/gallery/...1.html?pic=177
Old 20th April 2011, 10:54 AM

Great write up guys and wish I could have come, but with a young(ish) family and the car needed for everyday use, a bit daunting to take it on a trip where it might never come back.....

Perhaps when the car is worth less than a grand, then I might take the plunge (the way the prices are falling, probably next year)

Glad you all came back un-scathed

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 20th April 2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
The fogs in this shot look really bright - are they xenon retrofit, or brighter bulbs, or is it a trick of the camera?!

http://www.circle-driver.de/gallery/...1.html?pic=177
the fogs are hid retro fit
Old 20th April 2011, 11:55 AM

cool - cheers for the info off to look for a write up on doing it! I'm betting it's somewhere on here?!