A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 31st July 2015, 11:12 PM

Thumbs up Engine decoke (Terraclean)

We've touched the subject of Terraclean few times on this forum, but without real before and after photos.

Unfortunately I have no before photos, but I've had engine treated with Terraclean around 12,000miles ago.
As I had to remove the intake manifold in order to replace non return valves today, I thought I would be a good idea to look at the intakes and take few pictures.

I have to say I'm very impressed how clean they are. I don't know how bad they should look after 150k on the clock, but pretty bad I assume.
Not sure how filling the car with quality fuel since new and using regularly petrol cleaning additives and injector cleaning additives would reduce intakes getting bad, but I have noticed the difference after treating two cars with Terraclean (smoothness) and attached pictures should reassure everyone who thinks about doing a decoke.

Mate who I got to do the decoke the classic was, 6-8h of back bending and doing it by hand, was well impressed with how clean the intakes are.

Terraclean isn't that popular in Europe, but in North America where it comes from this method is very very popular and backed but all sort of warranties so it can't be a rip off in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0695.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	11483   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0697.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	11484   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0698.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	11485   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0699.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	11486   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0702.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	11487   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0703.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	11488   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0704.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	11489   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0705.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	11490   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0706.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	11491   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0707.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	11492  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 1st August 2015, 02:33 AM

Mine is booked in for Monday... first time I've had it done so will be interested to see what it drives like afterwards. If it's any good, I will get it done annually.
Old 1st August 2015, 07:29 AM

Nice, thats the difference between FSI and injectors before the valves.

I don't think the terraclean would have made much difference to the valves tbh but what it may have done in the combustion chamber I cant say.

I did watch Ed china doing it to an old Jag?? and it made a massive difference to the emissions.

Glad you finally got round to doing the return valves, has it cured it?

Old 1st August 2015, 07:38 AM

I've thought about having this done to my S8 and emailed a local terraclean franchisee. They didnt bother getting back to me...

This is the garage that wasnt bothered about my custom: http://www.swiftfit.com/terraclean-norwich.php
Old 1st August 2015, 08:48 AM

My D2 PF S8 engine was just as clean when I took it apart with 124k on the clock without any special cleaning and very clean in combustion chamber as well.

About Ed chinas Jag, it's 2 years younger than my S8 and he had 0.65% CO and 500ppm HC before cleaning at idle speed. After clean it was 0.55% CO and 78 ppm HC. For comparison my S8 in last MOT did 0.00% CO at both idle and fast idle and 8ppm HC at fast idle(not tested at natural idle for MOT), a lot better then Jag even after clean. Jag might have different emission limits for MOT but for my S8 CO limit is 0.3% at natural idle and 0.2% at fast idle so by the S8 standards Jag would have failed MOT even after clean. HC limit for my S8 at MOT is 200ppm.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 1st August 2015, 09:23 AM

My car just had the Mot done by the wife in my absence, must ask if she got any details like that.

Embarrassingly the car was 7 months over due, it's not the first time either

Old 1st August 2015, 09:44 AM

Annual reminder in your calendar, set 6 weeks before, I find quite useful! Having said that my S8 is due to be done beginning of September, although it's not due till early October

I may have booked it in April to get it at £27......

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 2nd August 2015, 02:05 PM

I posted a review of Terraclean (complete with before and after emissions tests) on the Detailing World forums.

The short version is: I was VERY impressed. It made a night-and-day difference to my Cavalier. I also had my Volvo done and while the difference was noticeable, it wasn't as dramatic as on the Cavalier.

It'll be one of the first appointments I make for my Audi once I get it, although I am considering 'decarbonise your engine' instead, as that process also cleans the inlet manifold. Terraclean get to the bits in the combustion chamber and after.

2008 Audi S8
Old 2nd August 2015, 03:45 PM

Decarbonise your engine????

Do tell more Tony....

Old 2nd August 2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
I posted a review of Terraclean (complete with before and after emissions tests) on the Detailing World forums.

The short version is: I was VERY impressed. It made a night-and-day difference to my Cavalier. I also had my Volvo done and while the difference was noticeable, it wasn't as dramatic as on the Cavalier.

It'll be one of the first appointments I make for my Audi once I get it, although I am considering 'decarbonise your engine' instead, as that process also cleans the inlet manifold. Terraclean get to the bits in the combustion chamber and after.
I booked mine in for terraclean. I went for a walk to a coffee shop and did some work for a couple of hours only to come back to be told that they need a special adapter for the fuel system on the my engine. I guess they only realised that when they tried to connect their equipment. But they did also recommend a separate treatment for the inlet manifold. Maybe one day I get round to it.....
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O