A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 3rd April 2015, 06:23 AM

Default Help with retrofitting auto lights

Has anyone done this mod and could provide some advice?
I have fitted the sensor (i used 4e0955559a) , changed the light switch and run a wire down to the central electric module and powered it from the roof module.

Now, the auto wiper function works great, but the DIS always throws an error that the sensor is faulty when I put it into auto lights.

Do I have a dodgy sensor? (If so then wouldn't the wipers also not work) or have I missed something out.

This is on a 2004 D3, and I did note that the circut diagrams only refer to the sensor as a rain sensor, not rain and light, but that may be a red herring....

Thanks

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 3rd April 2015, 08:25 AM

Maybe there were 2 different sensors available - one for auto lights plus wipers and one just for auto wipers - they would be two different sensors as one would be a light sensor and the other a sensor to detect rain on the glass

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 3rd April 2015, 08:59 AM

My eyes are not fully open yet, and I have to take SWMBO to Salford Quays for some market she spotted.
Quick lok at page 29 on the diagram does show two sensors, a humidity one and a light one.
Sorry due to high levels of earache no time to dig any deeper

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:18 AM

I think 4e0955559a is just for rain - what about the light sensor below it?
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:39 AM

I did wonder if the part is just for rain only, but ETKA does describe it as a rain and light sensor.

My understanding is that the rain sensor detects changes in light reception caused by drops of water on the screen in front of it - so it makes sense that it's both at the same time, but who knows. I also have read (can't remember where I read it now), that the other light sensors are used for the dimming mirrors, and this still works fine.

Has anyone else done this update?

Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomguy View Post
I did wonder if the part is just for rain only, but ETKA does describe it as a rain and light sensor.

My understanding is that the rain sensor detects changes in light reception caused by drops of water on the screen in front of it -
It works by using a ring of maybe 5 or 7 tiny IR LEDs at 45˚ to the glass in the sensor.
In the middle is an IR sensor that measures the reflected light.
There is also a dark red IR filter.
When it rains and the droplets settle within the ring, IR light escapes from the surface so the sensor sees a corresponding drop in IR level and adjusts the wiper interval.

I thought the headlight sensor was (as viewed from outside through the windscreen) on the bottom of the mirror mount housing and looks like a clear 5mm ball inside a hole but you are right about it being called rain and light... but maybe that is for autodimming mirrors.
http://www.partscats.info/audi/en/?i...ail_id=1243121
It does seem common to have rain light in one...
http://www.trw.com/sites/default/fil...tsensor_en.pdf

Did you find in VCDS the part where you choose subsystem in a popup menu > REGENLICHTSENSORH11?
and can see options for different glass types and security glass (disabled)?

Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 4E0-910-279.LBL
Part No SW: 4E0 910 279 Q HW: 4E0 907 279 Q
Component: ILM Fahrer H14 0230
Coding: 0133122
Shop #: WSC 02313 785 00200
VCID: 3668AF7D4111EB91857-8063

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 4E2 910 113 B
Component: Wischer WWS D3 H50 0420
Coding: 00000037
Shop #: WSC 02313

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 4E0 910 557 Labels: 8K0-955-559.CLB
Component: REGENLICHTSENSORH11 0050
Coding: 00139548
Shop #: WSC 02313
]

http://www.audi.co.uk/glossary/l/lig...in-sensor.html

Last edited by snapdragon; 3rd April 2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:56 AM

Have you coded the right module too as one module just controls rain sensor whilst I think central electrics controls the rain light sensor and only one module can be coded, it's all on ross tech wiki, not sure if you've done this as Iv not seen it mentioned yet
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:48 PM

Not sure - I'll double check the coding in Central Electrics later this afternoon

Old 4th April 2015, 12:08 AM

Ok guys. I have done this update.

There are many facts.

First, NO rain sensor was available in a pre-facelift car. Only a light sensor.

Second, rain and light and the light only sensor are coded and wired differently.

I will type the whole thing out for others to use as many of the pages on this topic are not in english.

The Light only sensor looks and works differently to the rain/light and is coded in the roof module only.

The RLS is coded in the central electronics module 09. A data wire must be run down and SPLICED into the correct wire at the central electronics module. (yellow and white wire from memory). The roof module must have no coding for the RLS or LS at all.

As it happens, almost all of the pre-facelift cars (some late 2005 will be ok) will have a central electronic module that cannot accept the coding for the RLS.

What happens is the rain sensor works improperly but works, and the auto lights will throw an error in the DIS.

What has to happen to cure this is a change to a Rev Q or later Central electronic module from a facelift car. This will plug and play and will probably be precoded for the RLS as most if not all of them came with it.

Then the whole system will work as factory. My OEM 09 Central Electronic module was REV E. This did not have the ability to accept the coding for the RLS.

If you have a prefacelift car and just want Auto Lights, you MUST buy a light only sensor, and plug it into then code the roof module. Fit an auto headlight switch and it will work as intended.

Mike

04 A8 - 4.2 Sport

Indigo Leather Sports Seats - Sports wheel - Sports Air Suspension
Auto Boot - Double Glazing - AMI - Solar roof
TV - Bose - Voice Control - TPMS - AFS- TINT
Power Blind, Fingerprint - Light package (in and out)

Retrofits:
OEM Auto headlights & rain sensing wipers
OEM Bluetooth phone
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Reverse Camera
OEM Aluminium Package
Auto boot close using remote/door button
Old 4th April 2015, 12:17 AM

This is the light only sensor.

This is the rain sensor

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...kq15VpAAzg.jpg

Mike

04 A8 - 4.2 Sport

Indigo Leather Sports Seats - Sports wheel - Sports Air Suspension
Auto Boot - Double Glazing - AMI - Solar roof
TV - Bose - Voice Control - TPMS - AFS- TINT
Power Blind, Fingerprint - Light package (in and out)

Retrofits:
OEM Auto headlights & rain sensing wipers
OEM Bluetooth phone
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Reverse Camera
OEM Aluminium Package
Auto boot close using remote/door button