A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 12th October 2018, 05:03 PM

Default D2 S8 setting off in second gear?

hello all
In almost 18 months of ownership I have only covered aprox 500 mls in my D2 S8. It's been a bit of a resto project. On a couple of occasions, when pulling away at traffic lights, it seems to pull away in second gear. Is this a normal function of the gearbox DSP selecting a smooth set off reflecting my sedate driving style or is this the start of a potential problem.

Thanks all in advance
Old 12th October 2018, 08:03 PM

Does it then operate normally with no clunks? No indication of it being in limp mode? (Such as "PRDNS" illuminated which can sometimes be triggered by selceting reverse for some reason). I would suggest you scan it with VCDS to check if there are any indications there pointing towards a F125 switch problem. My F125 problems started off with a similar issue i.e. incorrect gear selection when pulling away.
Also, take it out for a long, sprightly drive - these cars need to be used!
Old 12th October 2018, 08:11 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post

Also, take it out for a long, sprightly drive - these cars need to be used!
Now, when David says “sprightly”’ he probably means a good deal quicker than you and I might interpret the word!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 12th October 2018, 10:01 PM

If my old memory is correct, it's normal after sedate driving if you don't come to a complete stop and accelerate gently for the gearbox to stay in second gear. i think it says this in the owners manual also check your kickdown switch they are almost always turned off.
Dave

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 13th October 2018, 04:59 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have VCDS and there are no reported transmission faults. Car has done this maybe 3 times. There are no clunking noises at all and shifts seem pretty smooth. No fault indicator lights on the transmission indicator. The issue only happens when I am already at a complete stand still, traffic lights etc. The last time this happened was whilst having a fairly steady drive to work some nob pulled along side me at some traffic lights, clearly intending to cut me off as the lanes went from 2 to 1. Car was in drive, I moved lever to tip mode to check what gear was displayed on the dash. According to that we were in first. I put back to drive ready to set off (not sport mode). On setting off it was clear she wanted to take it steady. I was left looking like the guy who took the moral high ground and let the other guy in. On this occasion, I didn't want to be that guy. Push further on the throttle and she changes down and away we go.

Car has only done 87000 mls and gearbox oil and strainer have been changed recently.

My gut feeling is that this is normal after periods of smooth driving. Also bear in mind that I disconnect the battery quite often whilst working on the car so maybe the car has had no time to learn my driving style.

What I was hoping is that you guys would tell me this is normal and you have all experienced this when driving steady. If that's not the case than clearly she is doing something unusual and thus a potential future problem.

MAF meter likely to have any influence over this?
Old 13th October 2018, 11:13 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have VCDS and there are no reported transmission faults. Car has done this maybe 3 times. There are no clunking noises at all and shifts seem pretty smooth. No fault indicator lights on the transmission indicator. The issue only happens when I am already at a complete stand still, traffic lights etc. The last time this happened was whilst having a fairly steady drive to work some nob pulled along side me at some traffic lights, clearly intending to cut me off as the lanes went from 2 to 1. Car was in drive, I moved lever to tip mode to check what gear was displayed on the dash. According to that we were in first. I put back to drive ready to set off (not sport mode). On setting off it was clear she wanted to take it steady. I was left looking like the guy who took the moral high ground and let the other guy in. On this occasion, I didn't want to be that guy. Push further on the throttle and she changes down and away we go.
That sounds to me like the common brake pedal switch problem. It's not actually setting off in a higher gear but limiting the throttle response because it thinks you still have your foot on the brake pedal. It's likely that you just need to adjust or replace your brake pedal switch.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 13th October 2018, 11:29 AM

Hi Moltuae

Thanks for your response.

You may have something here because when I try to do a flying start from standstill, I tend to hold the car with my left foot on the break and right foot hovering over the throttle. Maybe I am hitting the throttle before releasing the break and thus maybe causing the issue you have listed above. I'll stop with the left foot breaking and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated.
Old 13th October 2018, 11:57 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Hi Moltuae

Thanks for your response.

You may have something here because when I try to do a flying start from standstill, I tend to hold the car with my left foot on the break and right foot hovering over the throttle. Maybe I am hitting the throttle before releasing the break and thus maybe causing the issue you have listed above. I'll stop with the left foot breaking and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated.
I had exactly the same symptoms when I had trouble with my brake pedal switch. It would usually happen at traffic lights and, I think, more commonly following firm/heavier braking (for example, when the lights suddenly change and you decide to stop rather than go through). To diagnose it, you could try holding it on the handbrake (and dropping it in to neutral if necessary) while you're waiting for the lights to change.

There's one or two threads about the brake switch here somewhere. From memory, I believe there are two sets of contacts, one which is supposed to make/release before the other. If the timing of those contact openings/closures is not correct, it seems the ECU (the ESP ECU I assume?) limits the throttle.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 13th October 2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 13th October 2018, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the info Mark.

I'll alter my driving style at the traffic lights for a while, see how that goes but ultimately will probably just buy a new switch and swap it. Already spent a fortune on the car so no point in getting cheap now.

Cheers Frank
Old 13th October 2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info Mark.

I'll alter my driving style at the traffic lights for a while, see how that goes but ultimately will probably just buy a new switch and swap it.
If it isn't your driving style, then don't just buy a new brake switch. As Mark mentioned, the switch may just need adjusting by half a turn or so, and you use VCDS to set it.

EDIT: Just found the thread Mark was referring to. It's a pretty long one, but start from here:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....&postcount=285

and also check post #288.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds

Last edited by steamship; 13th October 2018 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added link to relevant thread