A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 16th November 2011, 07:32 PM

Well my PF S8 definitely has it and the corresponding brochures (1998) show ESP as standard on the S8.
Old 16th November 2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
Personally, I wouldn't want to disable TC in an S8. I guess being a family man makes all the difference, but that's just me...
Well... I am also a family man and when the family is the car nothing will ever be turned off. But we do tend to have alot of snow here and several "closed" places where you can enjoy some real quattroing so i really dont see the harm.

And we also have a iceracing meet on a frozen lake that has a very wide and long track laid ut and if you cant go sideways there then its all a waste
1993 Audi S4 2.2 TQ MTM 330 (my first love!)
Old 16th November 2011, 09:00 PM
Banned

i must say that i have been in snow that is so deep that its touching the under side of the car all the while im driving,i live in north wales and the roads rarely get gritted where i live not even the main roads, and if i floor it with esp on there is no drama but it still pulls very well but in a collective manner ,esp off on the other hand and there is a whole lot of side way's action, mine is a facelift and when the esp is off in good conditions there seems to be no difference wet or dry, only when snow comes into it that i realize that it is actually on and doing its job and quite effectively
Old 16th November 2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Seriously? The traction control light hardly ever came on when I drove my S8 hard. Turning it off made no difference as quattro still kept everything in shape.

Turn the traction control off, but it won't make much difference.
Believe me, if you could totally disable the TC you would feel the difference..

I love the Quattro System and i've had the S6 for close to 11 years. it goes just as much sideways as a rwd but at a scary higher speed

If your RS6 was a manual and you cluchdrop it you would brake all 4 wheels loose. At least my S6 has done that those very few times i have had the heart to threat her that bad

Gotta love Quattro and no TC
Old 16th November 2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
i must say that i have been in snow that is so deep that its touching the under side of the car all the while im driving,i live in north wales and the roads rarely get gritted where i live not even the main roads, and if i floor it with esp on there is no drama but it still pulls very well but in a collective manner ,esp off on the other hand and there is a whole lot of side way's action, mine is a facelift and when the esp is off in good conditions there seems to be no difference wet or dry, only when snow comes into it that i realize that it is actually on and doing its job and quite effectively
The ESP is genious in every way no doubt.

It even acts as "I'll fix this one for you" if you have overdone your powerslide with it disabled and enable it again. Really gets it back on track without youd doing much.

The ESP button should have been placed on the steeringwheel
Old 22nd November 2011, 09:59 PM

The ESP button definitely makes a huge difference on my '98 PF S8, I tried this out on snow & ice last year. When engaged, the car takes off as though it has no regard for F=Mu x N in a nice straight manner...

Turn it off, get ready for some opposite lock fun trying to perform the same maneuvre....

I was glad I had the ESP on a wet evening on the M4, a 'nob' (deliberate mis spelling) in an R32 pulled across my path (without indication, a la BMW & Volvo) as I was about to overtake him, the only place I had left to go was to put 2 wheels on the grass (well in excess of..... I'm not going to say... so, 30mph will suffice)
The car went quite sideways to the nearside, then to the offside, then back to straight, no real drama from the driver's seat, but my rear seat passenger had a white knuckle, high G ride in the back rather like James May in the back of the big 7 series driven round the track by Stiggy....

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!