A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 5th August 2016, 05:55 AM

Default Instrument cluster external temperature display

I have a problem with the external temperature display.

All is fine when the car has just been started, however when at normal temperature and sitting in traffic (ALA M25) the temperature display will rise from the ambient air temperature and keep going. Last Friday it made it to 40c with a real air temp of around 18c. However once on the move the display drops to the correct temp.

I am guessing the sensor has become detached and resting on part of the cooling system or is otherwise measuring the temp inside the engine bay.

Where on the pre facelift D3 is the sensor located, I know on the D2 it was down in front of the radiator on the nearside (UK).
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 10th August 2016, 10:28 PM

Hello mate
That's all I found about the temp sensor unless (very possible) Germans called it something else not ''temperature sensor''.
All the other ones are located in the internal air ducts and internal temp sensor is behind the climate control unit held by one screw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp sensor.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	13927  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 22nd September 2016, 02:47 PM

Thanks Marcin

Just spotted your reply.... I sat on the M25 a couple of weeks ago and until I hit traffic around heathrow the temperature sat quiet happily at at 21C for most of the drive from Dorset. However by the time I got to the M4 junction having crawled around from the A30 junction the temperature on the display had crept up to 33C. Once on the move past the M40 it dropped back down to 21C.

This suggests to me at least the sensor, wherever it is get saturated with air in the engine bay rather than airflow through the ducts. Very confusing.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles