A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 27th January 2016, 10:01 AM

Default Steering wheel buttons

Hi There,

A few Q's on the steering wheel buttons....

1.) Whats the one on the right for, Looks like a voice icon, but I don't think mine has voice control. I know it works as it will cancel travel info interuptions (still not sure if I like these or not, but how quite you turn off is another matter). Can it be used for something useful ???

2.) The left one is Mode. It goes first to the old telephone (handset in arm rest, has an old Tesco sim that *does* work!!!) then to CD changer. It's surprisingly clunky in how it works. Shame the scroll wheel doesn't just jump up/down a track by default, you have to chose and press....i tend to use the console arrows

3.) the Mode button is a bit dishevelled. How easy is it to swap out???

Ta,
Lee
Old 27th January 2016, 10:15 AM

1) Yep, voice control. If you do have the voice module it looks like a big heat sink in the radio module.

2) Yeah bit slow and clunky by today's standards, technology has moved on quite a bit in 13 years or so

3) Buttons can be swapped out. Part number is 4E0951527(letter); letter depends on what side and 3 or 4 spoke wheel and maybe tip controls.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 27th January 2016, 10:50 AM

The thumbwheels are a good idea, but ergonomically tragic. I much prefered the +/- </> buttons on previous cars that worked like the < & > on the A8's centre console.
Old 27th January 2016, 06:13 PM

You can also press the thumbwheels in, and this, on the LH button, will open the track list for you to scroll down, and the RH button, activate voice commands.
Voice commands is that amusing facility where you ask your car to, say, "go to navigation" and it will ..... Switch the phone call out function on. To be fair. it works enough to be useful.
Old 28th January 2016, 04:20 PM

Tonupkid - I found that one out by accident today, which is quicker and makes the mode button almost redundant! Shame it's a scroll and click, rather than just next / last track.....allows you to skip muliple things but takes far more concentration to get correct!

I'm not sure I have Voice control in the car as the button does nothing with long or short press.....Yet i know the button is working as it will cancel the traffic info interuptions!