A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 12th April 2016, 07:21 PM

Right my car is booked into midland VW tomorrow, as the glow plugs aren't connected it's a bugger to start and I have now got the battery on charge overnight, the thing is, the Audi battery management system stops the charger from working properly for some reason, it'll only charge the battery fully if removed from car.

To lock the car and disconnect the battery you need to close everything, open the boot with the fob and disconnect the battery then close the boot, leaving the boot open and locking the doors sets the alarm off when you disconnect the battery
Old 20th April 2016, 12:10 PM

The AA Charger that's been posted about is Solar and uses the OBDC port which is always live so you just plug in inside the car.

Interesting thing to know though!
Old 20th April 2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
The AA Charger that's been posted about is Solar and uses the OBDC port which is always live so you just plug in inside the car.

Interesting thing to know though!
I found out as when doing the head work I was leaving it on charge to keep the battery topped up, I noticed leaving it all connected up it was never reaching fully charged this was after about 2-3 days, disconnected the battery and it took about 20-30 hours after that to fully charge off a 6A charger, when the car goes to sleep it must shut something off stopping the charger from charging.
Old 22nd April 2016, 05:27 PM

I've checked my key in the boot lock, and it opens and closes fine.

I've not driven the D3 for a week now, and the battery has gone from 100% to disabling the flashing lights in the door in 7 days. Keyless is also disabled, but the car unlocks fine with the key. This evening I started and run the engine up to operating temperature, battery meter went from one blob to max in that time.

Tomorrow I'll take the D3 out for a run to the shops and back, and it'll be driven to Dorchester on Tuesday.

I am taking the Volvo diesel to France in June, so I'll make sure the D3 battery is fully charged before disconnecting it following earlier advice.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 14th June 2016, 03:07 PM

Well the D3 is now parked up for the next 3 weeks, sitting outside my house locked with the battery disconnected.

I've also fully charged the battery, the charger reports the battery is full. Hopefully when I next use it in 3 weeks to take it for its MOT the battery should still be fully charged.

The D3 is not getting much use, in the last 2.5 months it's covered less than 600 miles and 300 of those was the weekend before last.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 5th July 2016, 07:05 PM

I am now back home, and the D3 battery is hooked up to power once more.

After leaving her for 3 weeks,the rear suspension was quiet a lot lower than it should have been. Front suspension looked exactly like it did 3 weeks ago, upon reconnecting the battery normal ride height was restored before even starting the engine.

Took the D3 out for a drive and its running just fine, just as well as it's MOT is due in the next few weeks.