A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 1st December 2014, 10:53 PM

Default Is buying a VCDS worth the cost?

OK the title says it all.
I am just wondering if the expense of this puts it off my Xmas list.
Or maybe I should treat myself quietly and basically lie through my curly teeth to SWMBO!!!
Old 2nd December 2014, 01:07 AM

Well justified by the fact Audi charge 100 for a diagnostic fee its money well spent and can work on other cars in vag group and other cars as generic obd reader so I can say its money well spent.

Old 2nd December 2014, 09:02 AM

Yes, it is money well spent. I bought mine mainly for the tourist setting for the headlights. I've used VCDS on the '8 for various little things. Scanned my dads car (Skoda), scanned friends cars (VW's).
Fixed another friends Seat Leon, he had a new DPF fitted by the Main Dealer and they didn't reprogramme the car properly! After 100miles or so the warning light came back on and the car kept going into limp mode with reduced power. The Main Dealer had the car 3 times to sort it but didn't.
Recently I removed an interior and steering wheel, once it was all back in the Air Bag warning light was on. VCDS helped and solved all of the above.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:22 AM

It's an essential part of owning an '8 unless you want to leave absolutely everything to a dealer.
First tool for the toolbox IMHO.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:15 AM

Thanks Guys.
I will have to hide my plastic and meet the postman up the street.
Plan B, it can be done on the tinternet!! AND I can tell her the cable is to repair the Xmas Tree lights.
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:21 AM

Main personal motor is A8 D3 2004 3.0 TDI.
Is the "VCDS Release 14.10.0" the one I need?
Also which cable will I need.
Sorry Chaps, at 75 years young I am being a little careful to make sure I have it cforrect.
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:24 AM

Hopefully you have a suitable modernish laptop to run it on.
I'd buy an official version which will be a cable with integrated "dongle" so you just download the latest software and run it.
Gendan are a UK distributor commonly mentioned and I'm sure they can advise.
The full list of distributors (UK and elsewhere) is here: http://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.html
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 3rd December 2014, 08:24 AM

A MUST !!! No question about it.
You will get the money back within first 2-3 uses and after that every diagnostic is just more and more money in your pocket ready to be spend on improving the car or beer money, whichever one you prefer.

And yeah, tell Mrs that there is one light gone on the Christmas Tree and it needs coding after changing the light
or
Tell her that ''With this cable I'll be able to buy you something nice more often hopefully due to the savings by not going to the dealer'' and that should sort it out and even she my chip in few quid towards it.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 3rd December 2014, 05:49 PM

Hi All,
SHMBO says she is not that silly, and she reminded me that she had let me have a new AMI for my 75th/Xmas present without complaint!!!
Obviously she has read all the messages on this thread and actually smiled.
Net result, Thanks to you lot, I can have it for Chrimble!!!!!!
Again, Cheers to you all.
Old 6th December 2014, 08:09 AM

I purchased from 'VAG-diagnostics.com" a couple of yrs back.
About £80 for cable and software.
I think they are currently selling version 11.11.3.
It may offer you another option.
Chris
My pride and joy - 1991 ur 20v quattro (owned since 2003).
BMW 645 (Need to sell now I have 2 A8s....)
Previous cars
A8 D4 4.2tdi lwb (2011)
A4 cab 3.0 Quattro petrol (2005)
T5 Caravelle exec 2.5 (2006)
A8 D2 3.7 quattro sport (2001)
A8 D3 4.2 quattro (2003)
A6 4.2 quattro avant (1999)
A6 2.8 quattro (1998)
Audi Coupe 2.6E (1993)
Carlton 3.0 GSI