A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 6th December 2020, 12:06 PM

Default Heated windscreen

Now that mornings are little more chillier I expected to see the magic of heated windscreen, very disappointed to find out it doesn't work.

Not sure where to start at diagnosing the problem, can't find the fuse either.

If I'm correct it should automatically turn on when it's 2C or below and defrost button is pressed?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 6th December 2020, 02:37 PM

Temperature has to be below 5 degrees and the HVAC needs to be on 'Auto'. If you have access to VCDS then you can scan it for errors and also use it to perform the Output Tests on the HVAC system. If the conditions are right then the amber light should flash on the button when in use.

As for fuses, I don't believe there are any (or at least none that I can find) as the control unit fitted in the boot is wired directly to the battery. The battery also needs to be in relatively good condition as it draws a lot of power.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 6th December 2020, 02:52 PM

When it is operating the tell tale amber light in the button will blink
Old 6th December 2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Temperature has to be below 5 degrees and the HVAC needs to be on 'Auto'. If you have access to VCDS then you can scan it for errors and also use it to perform the Output Tests on the HVAC system. If the conditions are right then the amber light should flash on the button when in use.

As for fuses, I don't believe there are any (or at least none that I can find) as the control unit fitted in the boot is wired directly to the battery. The battery also needs to be in relatively good condition as it draws a lot of power.
As soon as I press windscreen button 'auto' switches off, and AC comes on as expected but amber light doesn't flash, just solid. As for battery, that's brand new fitted few months back.

It is 0.5C at the moment, and nothing happens.

HVAC is clear of errors

Last edited by hunker7; 6th December 2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 6th December 2020, 03:20 PM

Did all D2s have a heated windscreen? I had no idea that was even a thing.
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Old 6th December 2020, 03:38 PM

It was a pretty rare option.

Back then the patents/licences for it were almost all held by Ford which is why they had it relatively widely available, even on my 1998 Focus (one of the first out of the factory).

I presume Audi decided to pay the fees to Ford for their premium model range. And I'd guess Ford would be happy to take the money as they had no competing model.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th December 2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
It was a pretty rare option.

Back then the patents/licences for it were almost all held by Ford which is why they had it relatively widely available, even on my 1998 Focus (one of the first out of the factory).

I presume Audi decided to pay the fees to Ford for their premium model range. And I'd guess Ford would be happy to take the money as they had no competing model.
The Ford system has visible wires inside the glass, which can be a tad distracting in night-time headlamp glare. It was used in aircraft during WW2 so perhaps any patents have expired. I actually have this on a VW.

The Audi system energises a tin dioxide layer that is deposited on one of the inner surfaces of the laminated glass. When a current is applied across the glass resistance in the metallic layer causes it to heat up, and in turn warms the glass.
IMO it's the best system out there. Very fast and invisible.

BTW your engine needs to be on for the heated front screen to operate.
Old 6th December 2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
Did all D2s have a heated windscreen? I had no idea that was even a thing.
A rare item as it was an option, and something I never thought of asking the OP.

hunker7 - Do you have this in the area above the battery? If not, then you don't have a heated windscreen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8D2HeatedWindscreenController (Large).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	636.3 KB
ID:	24775  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 6th December 2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
A rare item as it was an option, and something I never thought of asking the OP.

hunker7 - Do you have this in the area above the battery? If not, then you don't have a heated windscreen.
I do indeed