A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 27th May 2014, 03:26 PM

Default Close Trunk Lid With Remotes Or Door Button On A8

You guys seen this?

http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/close...utton-a8l.html

Anyone done it?

I got loads of spare relays at home. I'm tempted.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 27th May 2014, 03:34 PM

Looks almost too easy...

I know.. I know..

Old 27th May 2014, 04:43 PM

Yeah. 2 cables and a relay.

I'm not 100% sure on what's on about with the pin outs of the cables to the relays though.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 27th May 2014, 08:48 PM

It really is simple

1. When pins 85 and 86 get 12v they close pins 30 and 87 (4pin relay)
2. When you press the remote button the green wire on the latch goes to 12v to open the latch.
3. Connect the green wire (12v) to 86 and brown (ground) to 85. Now pressing the remote button will activate the relay and close pins 30 and 87.
4. Now relay pins 30 and 87 should be connected to pins 2 and 3 (center 2 pins) of the close switch, as relay will short them when activated - same as the button does.

Have to do this myself when i find some time.

Last edited by jza8; 27th May 2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 28th May 2014, 06:33 AM

His description of the relay pins out and where the wires should go confused me but I understand what you put and it saves me from testing the cables and working it out myself.

I'm off to find some relays.
Old 28th May 2014, 08:00 PM

I recently was working with a similar 4 pin relay with my A8 (2007 D3). Specifically the relay that controls the air suspension compressor. So i've learnt how they work (or reminded myself of that which I had forgotten from school days).

This looks really interesting and cool!

Someone please shout up if they manage it? I have my boot liner removed as waiting for a replacement boot lid tail light (the old one managed to get a crack in it somehow!), so I'm tempted too!
Old 28th May 2014, 08:29 PM

Seen this and thought its a nice little mod, but I think I will order plugs from Audi so it can just be plugged in and not splicing the harness.

Its not that I cant its i just don't like doing it if there is another way.

Old 28th May 2014, 08:55 PM

I would take the pins out of the plug and solder the wires to the pin directly. Not a fan of the splice connectors either.
Old 28th May 2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Seen this and thought its a nice little mod, but I think I will order plugs from Audi so it can just be plugged in and not splicing the harness.

Its not that I cant its i just don't like doing it if there is another way.
Del, what do you mean when you say order plugs from Audi? am I missing something?
Old 28th May 2014, 09:49 PM

well instead of using scotch locks hideous things.

I was thinking of buying the plugs to match the two locations so a small middle man harness could be made to allow the relay to be plugged in with out modifying any of the car wiring harness.

If you must splice wires in to a car harness they really ought to be soldered in to prevent problems in the future.

Connectors are quite cheap like a few quid each so I am doing some digging through the wiring diagrams at the mo to get a list of part numbers.