A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 11th May 2016, 06:20 PM

Default Insurance for 3rd car

I'm thinking about buying an old (15yr+) large estate as a workhorse to carry materials and rubbish when doing up our house. This would be 3rd car in the family and I don't have No Claims for the 3rd car.

What would be the cheapest way to insure the 3rd car? Some insurance companies offer Classic Car insurance for 15 year old cars, but I'm yet to find a competitive quote.

I've had some quotes for year 2000 Volvo V70, all in excess of £500... seems daft for a £500 car that is driven less than 1000 miles a year, bearing in mind I paid something like £350 to insure the A8

Oh and if anyone knows of a suitable car for sale let me know
Old 11th May 2016, 06:25 PM

I'm with Sky Insurance and they use my no-claims on both cars (A4 and S8) on the basis that I can only drive one at once. They do insure both of them with the same company though. I'm not sure if you could do the same with two different companies.
Old 11th May 2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I'm with Sky Insurance and they use my no-claims on both cars (A4 and S8) on the basis that I can only drive one at once. They do insure both of them with the same company though. I'm not sure if you could do the same with two different companies.
Thanks, forgot to mention my current insurer does not offer that. A8's insurance is up for renewal in August.
Old 11th May 2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audifin View Post
I'm thinking about buying an old (15yr+) large estate as a workhorse to carry materials and rubbish when doing up our house. This would be 3rd car in the family and I don't have No Claims for the 3rd car.

What would be the cheapest way to insure the 3rd car? Some insurance companies offer Classic Car insurance for 15 year old cars, but I'm yet to find a competitive quote.

I've had some quotes for year 2000 Volvo V70, all in excess of £500... seems daft for a £500 car that is driven less than 1000 miles a year, bearing in mind I paid something like £350 to insure the A8

Oh and if anyone knows of a suitable car for sale let me know
I use Footman James for my Fiat Coupé, but they can be a bit picky on which makes and models are "classic" - e.g. they wouldn't insure my S8 as one ., but you could always ask - they were very competitive on my Coupé, based on a very limited annual mileage, etc.

In terms of finding a workhorse car, I'm pretty sure my neighbour is still selling her dad's Volvo 850 Estate. I was interested in it, till I found out it was a diesel, which I wouldn't want. Visually, it's in seriously good condition, though I've not had it mechanically checked out.
Old 11th May 2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
I use Footman James for my Fiat Coupé, but they can be a bit picky on which makes and models are "classic" - e.g. they wouldn't insure my S8 as one ., but you could always ask - they were very competitive on my Coupé, based on a very limited annual mileage, etc.

In terms of finding a workhorse car, I'm pretty sure my neighbour is still selling her dad's Volvo 850 Estate. I was interested in it, till I found out it was a diesel, which I wouldn't want. Visually, it's in seriously good condition, though I've not had it mechanically checked out.
Thanks for the tip, I checked Footman James, but they "were unable to provide a quote for the specified details". I am guessing they don't think w-reg V70 is a classic car Well if they don't accept your S8 what chance does the V70 have

Your neighbours 850 might be exactly what I need, but Manchester is a bit too far away to collect for that kind of car...
Old 11th May 2016, 08:07 PM

Try an Admiral multicar quote. They won't do it automatically, but if you act offended when they quote you, they usually agree to mirror your NCB on all your cars.

P.S. I have a 1995 Volvo 960 that has been in the family for 16 years that is still going strong. Once you get used to having that load-lugging ability, it's difficult to say goodbye to!

2008 Audi S8
Old 11th May 2016, 08:11 PM

Direct Line ..
they mirror discount on up to 10 cars i believe for same address
mirrored my ncb on 2 more cars for me

my Galaxy might be for sale soon
7 seats or take 5 out its a van
1.9tdi auto
40mpg
proper car
Old 11th May 2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto View Post
Direct Line ..
they mirror discount on up to 10 cars i believe for same address
mirrored my ncb on 2 more cars for me
Interesting... according to their online chat they don't. Do you need to call them to get that?

In any case their online quote was quite competitive, that was even before they added multicar -discount, which they can only do on the phone . Ironically the quote was £100 cheaper after I added my other half as named driver

ps. I think I've just bought a Volvo V70 on eBay.. subject to it passing MOT
Old 12th May 2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
weird, i am with Sky on the S8 and they wouldn't do that for my Track TT or my Cabriolet - so I went with adrian flux and will be leaving Sky insurance when the time comes for renewal - not impressed with them so far to be honest
Old 12th May 2016, 06:26 AM

so not having had multicar insurance before

what kind of saving do you get, 2 cars one driver, as you can only drive one at a time i would have thought it would be a fairly big discount
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom