A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 14th April 2018, 05:54 PM

Default Washer piping near wiper motor - photos please

Could someone please take off the cover and post some photos of the routing of the washer pipes as they leave the wing, pass by the wiper motor and join the scuttle cover. Ideally from a car where it is all laid out correctly.
Mine is very untidy and taut, so taut in fact that one of the pipe joints came apart recently, though a bigger cable tie fixed that for now.

I seem to have a shiny black (looks reinforced?) pipe that comes out of the wing (from the washer fluid tank/pump) then joins to a small grey unit (non-return valve?) then a 90-degree rubber elbow (by the wiper motor) onto the hard black plastic pipe along the scuttle cover.
I also have cable ties holding the pipes and heated washer jet cables in what appears to me to be non-standard places.

When my fan jet washers arrive I intend to tidy up the whole thing. A good reference to work to is what I'm after. Thanks in anticipation.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 14th April 2018, 07:44 PM

Mine seems pretty tidy and not "buggered" around. Not much to see to be truthful but hope these help, Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3844.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	18439   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3843.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	18440  
Old 14th April 2018, 08:12 PM

Thanks for that David, mine's surprisingly similar but just lacking in length so tight.
I even have the same cable ties in the same places, though they don't look right to me.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th April 2018, 01:36 PM

My pipes are all very tight up there as well. Seems normal. I’ve had a couple of pipe blow-offs that have necessitated cable ties at joints as well. Usually when the nozzles get blocked, and the joints can’t deal with the extra pressure. All the pipes are specific lengths....they have a little ballooned bit at each joint to hold the rubber 90 and t pieces on more effectively.

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 15th April 2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Thanks for that David, mine's surprisingly similar but just lacking in length so tight.
I even have the same cable ties in the same places, though they don't look right to me.
Strangely, the pipe coming out of the wing on mine (as in Davids's photo) is about twice as long, but appears to be of a lesser quality. David's appears to be of a semi-rigid or reinforced pipe, whereas mine appears more like a thicker vacuum pipe.

I still have had the same problems as you Andrew, as the pipes from the right angled section onward are cut to the extreme minimum, and I've had one come off.

No point in me taking a photo of the pipes and wiring, as I've had to take mine off to get at the passenger washer. Hadn't filled the water tank, and then one day driving through a long section of roadworks with muck everywhere, was using them almost continuously, and sucked it dry. Passenger washer completely gummed up with what someone referred to elsewhere as 'snot'. Took off the pipe and then spent about 15 minutes with hot soapy water and a 5ml syringe to clear it.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 15th April 2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
All the pipes are specific lengths....they have a little ballooned bit at each joint to hold the rubber 90 and t pieces on more effectively.
And if you look at David's photo you'll see even his are not properly pushed on - after the right-angle joint.
Old 15th April 2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
And if you look at David's photo you'll see even his are not properly pushed on - after the right-angle joint.
Thanks for pointing that out Andrew
I had the whole scuttle off a while back so have obviously been negligent when putting it back together. I will get out there right now and sort that out!