A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 14th August 2018, 10:10 AM

Exclamation Nightmare - driving wrong way on a dual carrigeway

I heard about it before but never thought I would encounter it myself.
I was driving on a dual carrigeway near Luton after dropping off my mum off at the airport, in the rain. A van in front of me and a car overtaking the van. The car quickly pulls in after overtaking the van on a rise. What came next is unbelievable, a car comes past the other way in the inside lane doing about 70mph! I barely register this and go to overtake the van too as its sinking in.
The van starts breaking on top of the rise, I am in the inside lane trying to overtake him. Another complete idiot is coming towards us on the inside lane.
I am braking and pulling back in behind the van who has stopped (also an idiot! should have kept moving forward slowly), the abs has already kicked in. I realise I am going to hit the van.
Seeing that the idiot driving the wrong way in the fast lane has slowed down I think I have enough time to go round the van and get back in the outside lane.
I barely miss the van, still breaking with abs working, sail round him and back into the outside lane.
The wrong-way idiot drives past us at around 40mph.

I simply cant believe that two complete morons were driving together the wrong way on a dual carrigeway in the rain in the evening. I hope there were
no accidents further down as there were some cars behind us.
There were cut-throughs to the correct side so perhaps they realised their mistake and went back.

That was very close, if we encountered them a few seconds earlier or later and things could have ended very differently.

Last edited by Goran; 14th August 2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 14th August 2018, 10:36 AM

I had something similar on the M11, though it was many years ago as the details below will confirm:

Morning rush hour and I was driving out of London up the (relatively new) M11 towards Harlow. Almost no traffic my way (the M11 was that new and I was going out of town) so my Dolomite was moving "briskly"!

Got to the section which is now occupied by the M25 intersection near Hobbs Cross and noticed traffic coming the other way (into town) was all hooting and flashing like mad, so I started to slow down and moved to the inside lane, wondering what was ahead.

Then over the hill ahead of me appeared a car driving quite fast towards me in the outside lane, what to him was the left side of a 3-lane carriageway!
This was maybe 4 or 5 miles from the Harlow intersection, so it must have driven all that way.

The message must have sunk from the noisy flashing cars on the southbound lane because it actually did a U-turn a little way in front of me and stopped on the hard should, pointing the right way.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 14th August 2018, 12:05 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Wow Glad you're ok Goran,

We should have those reversed 'Wrong Way' signs like they have in the US.

------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 14th August 2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 14th August 2018, 12:12 PM

Definitely.
Tracing back my journey I think it was on the A505. I now see there is a petition to improve this stretch of road due to too many wrong-way incidents.
All I can say to anyone on here please avoid A505 if you can.

Still can't believe two cars were going the wrong way together. I hope it wasn't foolish kids playing some kind of dare game.

https://stevejarvis.mycouncillor.org...s-on-the-a505/

Last edited by Goran; 14th August 2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 14th August 2018, 12:30 PM

When I saw those "Wrong Way Go Back" signs in Mark's post, I thought that must have been here, as our exit ramp signs are exactly the same!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 14th August 2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
When I saw those "Wrong Way Go Back" signs in Mark's post, I thought that must have been here, as our exit ramp signs are exactly the same!
That second photo might be Australia in that case, considering the (correct) direction of travel and which side the slip-road appears to join the carriageway (assuming you all drive on the same side we do). I just know it's not the UK because we don't have those signs, and the sky here is not usually so blue!

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 14th August 2018, 01:29 PM

Glad you didn't have an accident there.

Around -97, I lived in Gothenburg while studying at the University. My Lincoln Continental Mk III was stored on a farm further north.
One day I hitchhiked with a man from the Middle East. Going onto the motorway the wrong way!! I started to shout stop! stop!
Luckily he barely got us onto the motorway, before he understood that I was telling him we were going the wrong way, with meeting cars. We then reversed back off the exit ramp.
One of the most scary experiences in a car I ever had.

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 15th August 2018, 10:28 AM

Thanks! Me too. I was resigned to crash into the back of the van as the safer option but somehow at the last moment my brain decided there was enough time to go round the van and not hit the wrong way car. At that point I kind of felt like a passenger with someone else driving.

I wonder how it was in Sweden when it switched over to driving on the right. I just checked it was back in the 60's, I thought it was more recent for some reason.
Old 15th August 2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
I was resigned to crash into the back of the van as the safer option but somehow at the last moment my brain decided there was enough time to go round the van and not hit the wrong way car. At that point I kind of felt like a passenger with someone else driving.
It is interesting how the survival instinct kicks in and creates a strange sense of calm that seems to make everything happen in slow motion, seemingly giving you extra time to react. As Pink Floyd describes it in their superb Two Suns in the Sunset track, "you stretch the frozen moments with your fear".

The nearest I've had to your experience was on the M60 in the Irwell Valley many years ago (then part of the M62), often referred to locally as 'death valley' because it is/was a notorious accident black-spot.

I was driving back from Manchester in heavy rain and rush hour traffic, in lane 3, rising out of the valley, overtaking the trucks that were crawling uphill. The visibility was fairly poor, so I was driving quite cautiously when I suddenly noticed that the cars a few hundred yards ahead seemed to be ploughing into an extremely flooded section of motorway. As the cars hit the lake, the spray made it impossible to see anything beyond.

There was no option but to drive through the water myself. It would've been far more dangerous to brake hard than to go through it so I gently backed off the throttle, held the steering firmly straight-ahead and prepared to blindly plough through the lake (travelling at approximately 70mph). My car remained straight and went through the water without a problem. But as the spray cleared, about 100 yards ahead, I saw the car that went through before me was now facing me, slightly sideways on, with its rear end buried in the crash barrier.

My survival instinct kicked in and I somehow calmly reacted to the situation, making a split-second response in what seemed like minutes. There was little time to brake and I knew there was a vehicle in the lane next to me, so I accelerated hard (towards the stationary vehicle ahead!) and managed to get far enough ahead of the vehicle next to me to pull in front of it at the last moment, just feet away from hitting the stationary car. It was one of those moments that made me thankful my car had enough power to get me out of trouble and it's one of the main reasons I choose not to drive under-powered cars today.

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 15th August 2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 15th August 2018, 01:16 PM
Administrator

I had a wrong way motor was incident probably some 15 years ago now on the M5 late at night in good weather.

I had my alertness raised when I saw a police car coming down the opposite carriageway in the third lane with its lights blazing, then seconds later a car passed me heading towards me in my own third lane. It was late at night and I was in the first lane so plenty of distance but left a lot of what it's unanswered for sure.

They say in these critical moments your brain goes into hyperdrive working faster than ever which is why you can replay everything in such perfect slow motion. You were Uber concentrating but didnt know it. Often people have no audio memories as the brain shuts down hearing to heighten the other senses apparently.

Glad you are ok. Shaken up a bit though no doubt.

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance