A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 7th October 2015, 05:54 PM

Default Insurance Renewal Time...

Direct Line more than doubled my renewal, and days of online quote seeking followed.

Crazy quotes were coming in left, right and centre. Especially as I'm 35, nice area, kept on drive and 10 yrs NCD.

I tried all the variables, more/fewer miles a year, with/out a named driver to no avail. Quotes ranged from £440 - £900! without protected NCD, without legal protection, without everything basically.

Kept going and went directly to the big companies in addition to the major comparison sites, still no joy. The cheapest on the comparison sites turned out to be profiteering A-holes who wanted a lot more money given that the wife and I have both been on speed awareness courses (and have clean licences) years ago. So on principal I avoided them.

Anyway, I tried Addian Flux, and got a good policy, protected NCD, fully comp including European travel (up to 60 days at a time) for under £400.

I've always heard good things about Flux on the Internet but they've never been anywhere near competitive in the past.

So, maybe others should try them too. (I nearly didn't bother)

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.

Last edited by Johnmed; 7th October 2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 7th October 2015, 06:10 PM

That'll be Harvey Keitel's appearance fee then .

My Tesla group have an insurance spreadsheet which is shared with the group members, which lets us compare and contrast quotes for (essentially the same vehicle) from different providers. Maybe we could do the same here, if people are willing to share? - it won't give anyone the "answer", but could shortcut some of the time spent hunting, which can be a right pain .
Old 7th October 2015, 06:12 PM

Would be interested in something like that, not too sure how it would work.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 7th October 2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
That'll be Harvey Keitel's appearance fee then .

My Tesla group have an insurance spreadsheet which is shared with the group members, which lets us compare and contrast quotes for (essentially the same vehicle) from different providers. Maybe we could do the same here, if people are willing to share? - it won't give anyone the "answer", but could shortcut some of the time spent hunting, which can be a right pain .
How does that work given the variables - age, other drivers, points, area, garaged, etc.?
Old 8th October 2015, 10:44 AM

Next time try also Sky insurance, I switched from Flux to them they beat all other quotes.
Old 8th October 2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
Direct Line more than doubled my renewal
Just had my renewal through for the "other" car from DL and it's a tiny bit less than last year.
The S8, which was renewed a few months ago and also with DL, had gone down as well, a noticeable amount at nearly 10% IIRC.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 8th October 2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Next time try also Sky insurance, I switched from Flux to them they beat all other quotes.
Cheers. Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Just had my renewal through for the "other" car from DL and it's a tiny bit less than last year.
The S8, which was renewed a few months ago and also with DL, had gone down as well, a noticeable amount at nearly 10% IIRC.
it's crazy, we've been with DL for maybe 10 yrs and they've always been the cheapest. Until now?! Like they really don't want us to renew.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 9th October 2015, 02:56 PM

My renewal quotes from Esure have consistently been the cheapest for over 8 years now. In fact, the S8 is cheaper to insure with them than my 2.5T Ford S-Max! 40-year-old software consultant, living in Oldham, £550 for the year.
2007 Audi S8, with Rear Seat Entertainment, Quad Zone Climate, DAB/DVB and electric blinds. ** sold **
Old 9th October 2015, 04:01 PM

I had quotes from a variety of companies ; most expensive was Zurich , £3,912 !!!! no , I'm quite serious even if they were not

but the secret of a good price ? be over 50!!!

L & V ...£177 basic comprehensive with £550 excess including commuting to work but 5k mileage