A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 29th April 2012, 05:10 PM

Default Got bored this afternoon - now what?

Well, as mentioned in another thread.........
and prompted by recent DVB-T discussions.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I'll have to have a rummage in the boot sometime before April when Crystal Palace gives up on Analogue TV...
(OK I know it's now late April and CP has switched )

..... I've had my (version A) TV tuner out and plugged a set of red/white/yellow video/audio leads into the back before reassembly.

Then I connected up my video camera in the (open) boot, got in the car and tried the Aux input.
Nice sharp colour picture and clear sound too. I could heard the blackbirds singing in the drizzle.

So, what now? Remember I've only got 1 input and presumably it cuts off when I move (RNS-C) even on Aux?

I've seen someone (Amar?) install a reversing camera in the boot lid as a "mirror" of the keyhole. Not sure I'm desperate for that as my parking sensors work well and I'm always EXTREMELY careful where I park.

Or there's Digital TV, which I realise will need a separate remote control, but should be easy enough to wire in, assuming I can find a suitable 12V supply.
(there's what I assume is my Bose amp underneath the CD changer)

What would people recommend?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 30th April 2012, 07:21 AM

I would go for digital TV. Personally, a reverse camera is just a gimick. You don't really need one, unless you're a poor driver. Your car has PDC. If the car comes with reverse camera, great. If not, I wouldn't bother fitting one.

Of course, if you still wish to install one, you can fit a line-in splitter, which is switchable. These are available at Maplins or any good audio shop. You can mount the switch at the front of the car, or set up a control unit to detect source, and switch automatically.

I'm installing DVD and digital TV to mine, and both remote eyes will be removed from the PCB's, and hidden at the front within remote range. This is assuming the units I buy don't have extendable remote eyes. If I need to install more than two AV sources, I'll install a splitter.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 30th April 2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
I would go for digital TV. Personally, a reverse camera is just a gimick.
My thinking too.
Have you decided on a TV for yourself yet, if so what was the logic?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 30th April 2012, 08:31 AM

Was chatting to the guy I bought my D3 from who has one in his new D4... Reckons that it's pretty gimmicky, but is great for reversing up to a caravan, or maybe a wall. Beyond that... Meh.

I know.. I know..

Old 30th April 2012, 08:44 AM
Administrator

I'd agree.... If you can drive properly, you shouldnt need a camera

The one in the Q7 works brilliantly in the bright sunshine, but the first sign of rain and its a pita - Swithes off the perfectly useful graphical view of the parking sensors and replaces it with a misted up view of nothing....

Plus, its tough to know where to look. Instinctively I want to use my doors mirrors to reverse, but my brain says I should somehow use the Tv monitor that is on, showing me something, I end up with my eyes flicking between all these things, having less concentration on the job of reversing than I would have without it...

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 30th April 2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post

The one in the Q7 works brilliantly in the bright sunshine, but the first sign of rain and its a pita - Swithes off the perfectly useful graphical view of the parking sensors and replaces it with a misted up view of nothing....

Plus, its tough to know where to look. Instinctively I want to use my doors mirrors to reverse, but my brain says I should somehow use the Tv monitor that is on, showing me something, I end up with my eyes flicking between all these things, having less concentration on the job of reversing than I would have without it...
thats a good advert for not bothering with the pain of fitting it, think il stick to getting a graphical display instead
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 30th April 2012, 09:19 AM

Unlike the majority here, I think the reverse camera was the single most usefull feature on my 8, I didn't bother using my rear view when parking as I could see so much more through the camera, I really miss it.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 11th May 2012, 01:45 PM

Default DVB-T box acquired and under test

Well, I've bought a cheap DVB-T box off eBay and am playing with it in the house.
Lashed up a 12v supply from a router PSU and connected the aerial to one of the house TV aerial outlets with a short piece of wet string.
Seems to work, though the organisation of channels is a bit random, at least you can specify a sort sequence yourself so there's some logic available.

Small box about 11*8*3 cm with USB and SD card (for music, pictures and pre-recorded video).
Just been watching Practice 2 from Barcelona on it, now reviewing my Jaguar XK-R "thrash" around Rockingham in the drizzle last Saturday (on a USB stick).

Remote control operates it via a little window on the box and/or a plug-in remote on a 4-metre (adequate) lead.
Aerial is stupid little stubby 4" thing on a magnetic base with a 3-metre (reasonable) lead.

So, sometime soon I'll try to figure out how to fit it in the car. Any suggestions anyone on:

1. Power supply, ideally one that comes on if I turn the RNS-C on without the ignition key. But definitely not on with the car locked.

2. Making use of the built-in TV aerial, which I think has 4 funny little connectors onto the old analogue tuner.

3. Where to put it? Apart from the obvious space with the existing tuner etc. in the boot N/S I'm wondering about the rear armrest/cavity somehow?
Old 11th May 2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post

So, sometime soon I'll try to figure out how to fit it in the car. Any suggestions anyone on:

1. Power supply, ideally one that comes on if I turn the RNS-C on without the ignition key. But definitely not on with the car locked.

2. Making use of the built-in TV aerial, which I think has 4 funny little connectors onto the old analogue tuner.

3. Where to put it? Apart from the obvious space with the existing tuner etc. in the boot N/S I'm wondering about the rear armrest/cavity somehow?
i bought the same thing a while ago, though my cars a D3, bought the IR in behind the back seat and tucked beside the centre headrest so was easy to control.

1. PSU - i used the small fuse box in the boot , tapping of the fuse that runs the MMi - dont know what you have in the d2
2. Check that you can do this with the antennas, the D3 tv tuner (and i suspect the d2 tuner) gives a voltage out of the antenna sockets to run the antennas, tapping in to them is not a good idea if this is the case, general consensus was that you couldnt use these, so instead i bought a sticky one and put on the back screen.
3. most likely place would be near the original tv tuner (arent you going to use the Aux socket to input video)
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 11th May 2012, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the input, especially re the aerials. Does all the the wiring in the rear screen not reduce reception?

IIRC the fuses in the D2 boot are above the battery, so the opposite side to the tuner, but it's only a simple 2-core cable so no doubt easy to route.

Time to read the manual then get the multimeter out!

Yes I'll be using the Aux input, so 3 cables to run and being in the same space is pretty obvious choice and will probably be easier. I've already got a fairly long set in the back of the tuner anyway left over from testing.

I suspect arranging a decent aerial will be the main challenge, I don't want it strung along my nice platinum coloured alcantara rear shelf!