A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 15th June 2013, 01:29 PM

Default Radiator leak

Discovered radiator leak today. Not sure yet if it leaks G12++ or ATF.

Will havd to change radiator now... Not sure this is DIY job since ATF draining will be involved.

And I just changed ATF in January. Bad luck

Why radiators are manufactured from alu matrix and plastic sides? Of course they will leak with time. Never seen car of 2000 era without radiator leak yet. Why don't they make radiator from proper stuff like stainless steel? Air conditioning condensers are manufactured from steel and they don't rust. Why radiators are compromised?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1660.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	6233  

Last edited by notorious; 15th June 2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 16th June 2013, 08:30 PM

That's similar to where mine started leaking 2 years back though mine was red and crusty and clearly coolant!. We got a rare scorcher of a day (the wild heights of 27c) and after a drive I parked up and saw a small red puddle forming. Not helpful when I was some distance from anywhere! I made an executive decision to rad weld it to get me home (several hours waiting for tow trucks and 100+ mile recovery made it a temporary repair I was willing to do to get home though i watched the temp gauge like a hawk on the way home in case the failed rad gave up entirely and leaked with spectacular suddeness!) and ordered up a rad when I got home. The rad weld held beautifully for the few additional small journeys I had to make between discovery and replacement and indeed the rad was sealed and bone dry when It was taken off the car! To answer your question the heat transfer of alloy (and indeed copper which used to be used on "old" cars) is much better than steel, they are much more resistant to internal corrosion which would mess up the coolant and they are significantly lighter than steel. Steel cores also wouldn't stop leaks forming at the header tanks where mine and indeed most failures occur as the plastic and steel would still expand at different rates and eventually fail.

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 16th June 2013, 08:43 PM

Thanks B@fink, did you change yourself?

Ordering genuine Audi radiator first thing on Monday.
Old 16th June 2013, 09:32 PM

I ordered a quality Non gen (if I recall correctly it was a nissens unit that arrived) which was a perfect fit, it was in the region of £130 plus vat and was a next day delivery. Yes, I swapped it myself but several parts of the job required 2 people to do it and it took several hours and so unless you are confident at waving spanners it's a job for the professionals.

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 17th June 2013, 07:06 AM

Changing radiator is not a big problem for me.

I'm only concerned about ATF part of radiator. I will completely drain engine coolant and I will fill refill system when job done. This won't work with ATF. I need to learn how to change it in a smart way without draining system completely. I can't put car completely into air and this is my issue. I only have same basic ramps for the front part of car and this doesn't help with ATF change. Now thinking to use couple of improvised caps to seal ATF lines as soon as I remove radiator so I will drain just the radiator. When it comes to filling it back I'm a bit worried to leave too big bubble in the system.
Old 18th June 2013, 08:41 PM

Yeah, unfortunate you have just had the ATF swapped! Mine hadn't long been swapped when mine went, seems the old 8's aren't without a sense of irony! Hopefully you can find a way of doing it correctly? If in doubt you may need a mechanic with a proper ramp to make sure it's done properly?