A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 17th February 2014, 08:54 AM

Default Botang's hole

I have had water in the cab a few times in the past, cleared drains ect but always had trouble finding Botang's. I've had the ecu's out but could never get the box out. Anyhoo i've had a go this wk-end and think i've found it, but still not 100%

Now i know that 1 is left and the other right hand drive but, This is from Notorious and the hole is just a hole.

This is from Davisbike and is a captive thread, the same as i found.

So off i went to my shed to see what i could find. Tapped hole is an M6 so a stainless bolt, washer x2 and some single sided foam tape.

But in the end i dropped the plastic washer for a larger stainless to spread more weight over the foam

The foam is water tight at 3/4 compression so i just done it up handtight with a socket, extention and wobbler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04034aef80dd.jpg
Views:	2060
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	7340   Click image for larger version

Name:	11072011470.jpg
Views:	1919
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	7341   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts1.jpg
Views:	1834
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	7342   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts2.jpg
Views:	1890
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	7343   Click image for larger version

Name:	plugged hole.jpg
Views:	1931
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	7344  

Bright yellow bus o love.

Last edited by Dezzy; 17th February 2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 17th February 2014, 09:12 AM

I don't think that threaded hole you've blocked is Botang's, pretty sure BH is lower down where water can easily pool and just a hole covered in some thin paper-like material.
Is your car LHD or RHD and roughly what did you have to do to get access to that?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 17th February 2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 17th February 2014, 09:16 AM

Car is RHD, you see in photo 3 and 4 the little round bit of tape, that was stuck over the hole.

Old 17th February 2014, 09:33 AM

I'm pretty sure that the first picture is the one that I've seen referred to as Botangs Hole, below outboard edge of the ECU box I think on RHD.

Did you have to pull the ECU box forwards to find and access Dezzys Hole? Or is it "just" taking off the cover across the base of the windscreen?
(Might investigate mine if its the latter and we ever get a fine day)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 17th February 2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 17th February 2014, 10:17 AM

I can't get the ECU box out do you have to take all ECU's out and the cables that go though the grommet at the front?

This is the 3rd time i've had a look for this hole, if' i've not sorted it this time i'll empty a tin of expanding foam in under there

Old 17th February 2014, 10:40 AM

I'm sure there's a very detailed thread somewhere, maybe on AudiPages?

I know I've read it when investigating my PF leaks a few years back, but could have been archived.

This is Notorious' comment, but I think you've seen that already. http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....10&postcount=8

Last edited by HPsauce; 17th February 2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 17th February 2014, 11:35 AM

Dezzy, this is not Botang's hole. The hole you have fixed is positioned too high to actually leak.

Botang's hole is hiding below cracked mastic and leaking through cracked mastic, so you won't see it in the way you see it in first picture, because you need to scratch mastic a bit first, which will fall off and reveal Botang's hole. Only then you will see a picture similar to 1st picture in your list.
Old 17th February 2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I'm pretty sure that the first picture is the one that I've seen referred to as Botangs Hole, below outboard edge of the ECU box I think on RHD.

Did you have to pull the ECU box forwards to find and access Dezzys Hole? Or is it "just" taking off the cover across the base of the windscreen?
(Might investigate mine if its the latter and we ever get a fine day)
I can't see how the box is secured apart from 1 nut on a ali stud outside of the box at the front (that sheared off rather than undo)

Dezzy's / Guy's hole is easily found by taking the cover off ECU box and i took 2 ECU's out but left them connected to to the wires.

I don't understand why it wasn't pointed out before when Guy posted up his write up about it. Even Botang didn't say it's not the right hole
LINK

I'll have one more go at it failing that i'll pour concrete down there hopefully it'll find it's way down under the ECU box

Old 18th February 2014, 08:13 AM

Still have wet getting in, so that hole is deffo not the culprit.

Does anyone have any instructions on how the ECU box comes out to get access down under it? before i pour concrete down there

Old 18th February 2014, 08:30 AM

I wrote about it in the post where you took the picture from:

"It is possible to fix the hole without removing the box, you will need long tweezers, heat gun or hairdryer, methylated spirit or industrial adhesion promoter and high quality silicone or any industrial grade glue (Soudaflex is good stuff) in a cylindric cartridge, extra long nozzle for the cartridge, and a silicone applicator gun."

Edit: And you will need to remove plastic scuttle panel from windscreen to allow a bit of access, which is easy thing to do.

Last edited by notorious; 18th February 2014 at 08:36 AM.