A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 4th June 2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Any comment re MOT?
I've done a bit of rummaging around online and looked at the .gov web site MOT manual too.
It seems that pad wear warning lights are totally ignored by the MOT.

Obviously the brakes do still have to work, which they definitely do.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th August 2015, 03:47 PM

Gone for MOT today, driven there by my friendly neighbourhood MOT tester. He texted me to say the pads REALLY ARE worn.
(and no, it's not a fail, or anything at all)

The front discs need replacing, which I know, so it seems that their uneven surface has just cut through one of the pads at the wrong place.
Still a reasonable amount of pad left over much of the surface, but it will all get done fairly soon.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 11th August 2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11th August 2015, 04:19 PM

Apparently the nearside inside pads were the worst worn and they also have the wiring, so possibly a sticking caliper or piston?
Old 11th August 2015, 06:49 PM

If the wire is partially exposed, you won't get the warning come on until you use the brakes and wear away anything stopping the pad wear sensor touching the disc. Usually lasts a little while like that before the light stays on as soon as you apply the brakes to move the gear selector

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 6th October 2015, 02:17 PM

Finally had the front discs and pads replaced today.
£350 including VAT, most of which was for the discs.

Any recommendations for "bedding in" when they've both been changed together?
Old 6th October 2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Any recommendations for "bedding in" when they've both been changed together?
Don't drive like a bellend for a week and aviod heavy stops, job done.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 6th October 2015, 04:43 PM

Basically as above, try and avoid sitting on the brakes at traffic lights etc if you've just come off a motorway. Better to let the car creep a bit with light pressure

Depends on use but it doesn't take long to bed them in

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 9th October 2015, 04:14 PM

getting an intermittant warning despite lots of pad left

just to be clear ....sensors on both front brakes ?[ not always the case }
Old 9th October 2015, 05:32 PM

I think it's a loop through both sides in series, inner pads.
Mine were worn more inside than out so "looked " as if there was still a fair amount left, but there wasn't.