A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 1st November 2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto View Post
going full circle ?
yes
so in 2525 if man is still alive Diesel cars will be back !

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:22 PM

Going back to Mark's opening post and photo.
This trial was only instigated a few months back. When I first drove under the wires my first thought was "What use are trolley buses on the Autobahn?"
There was an article in the local papers at the time which admitted that there was only one vehicle fitted with pantographs able to use the system. The overhead is only for a few miles but is on both sides of the motorway.
I have no idea what the current (sic) situation is but vehicles using the overhead would be limited to the one lane. No lane changing, no overtaking. A very limiting system. I know that an awful lot of Autobahns do not allow trucks to overtake between 06:00 and 20:00 hours and then they must keep 50 Metres apart so not the problem that one would first think of.
In Belgium they experimented with an articulated bus that out of town used a diesel engine in the third trailer to run a generator for the electric motor propulsion. In town it ran on a dedicated roadway with a single pantograph and overhead wire. The return was a jockey wheel on an arm dropped below the vehicle into a trough. This also provided steering control.
Again I have no idea of the present situation but at the time it was quite an experience travelling on a PCV (Bus) with three trailers.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 8th November 2019, 11:01 PM

In China they've been experimenting with Super Capacitor buses. They charge at bus stops and only have a range of 5 miles or something when "charged", but they charge in about 30 secs.

It would be relatively achievable to make I inductive sections of road 30sec to 60 secs long on Motorways and main roads to charge super capacitor equipped cars every 5-10-15 miles (like just before every exit would be smart).

Overhead wires is doable, but would have load limitations. The way it's done with that truck using a pantograph is just silly. One wrong move, or swerve or anything and it's short circuit (at high voltage) or off the wire, or hook up and tear the wire down. Not very clever IMHO.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 8th November 2019 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Tare = mass Tear = rip!