A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 29th September 2019, 03:49 PM

Well finally had time today to try and source the issue and sort it.
My headlining was damp,so the culprit was a blocked right sunroof drain, luckily my dad has an air compressor in his garage so i soon had it unblocked, was just a few old manky looking leaves that came out.
Luckily water is running freely now and its raining again so time will tell.
Old 17th October 2019, 03:36 PM

HI All,

Can I urge caution when using garage air compressors to clear out the drains. If they are extremely blocked a big blast of air could blow the drain pipes. It is much better to try to access the end of the drain plug have a look there and see how clogged it is.

I bought a hand weed killer pump sprayer (the ones with the srap on them) from I think Aldi or LIdl, took the spray head off which leaves the brass tube. This actually fits perfectly into the drain hole in the sunroof. Pump up some pressure, not too mad and that'll drain it. I use warm/hot water with some mild detergent until i see it is running clear. I just keep it in the garage and i do it every now and then...

Good luck with the drain cleaning...i must go and do mine again soon...
Old 5th November 2019, 09:02 PM

Tonight, I found my front passengers' and drivers' under-carpet insulation was completely wet, front to back, left to right - no outward signs.
It was the A/C drains as in Architex_mA8tey's post #27.
When unplugging them water rushed into an IKEA bag I thankfully held underneath.

I blew them out with an old CO2 fire extinguisher linked to some 1/2" clear hose. I will flush with hot water and ammonia tomorrow and make sure I can see it coming out underneath the car.

I found this when removing the rear footwell heaters which were wet.

Now have a fan heater blowing into the hole where the footwell heaters were mounted.
Will see how well it has dried overnight in the morning and do the other side.

Here is the water, it is full of mould.

Attachment 22361

Attachment 22362

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd April 2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 13th November 2019, 10:25 AM

Hi Snap & Others,

Great post. I'm having two issues at the moment. One is the drains. I did a full flush and can still hear water sloshing around. Not sure where it is as it's not in the sunroof channels. Will investigate and report back.

Bigger issue is in the mornings. When i turn on the windscreen demister, it totally fogs up. I'm assuming from what i've read on here that its linked to the same issue, i.e. water not draining from the plenum chambers so is condensing then when you turn on the blowers. Does this sound right? With the dark evenings, it's hard to get time now to do all the odd jobs these fabulous cars need...!!!
Old 13th November 2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandbuyer View Post
Bigger issue is in the mornings. When i turn on the windscreen demister, it totally fogs up.
That sounds like the drains either side of the transmission tunnel being blocked.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 13th November 2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
That sounds like the drains either side of the transmission tunnel being blocked.
Is there a way to flush these without taking it apart?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 13th November 2019, 07:05 PM

Hello, yes I experienced steamy windscreen on cold mornings inside above the screen vents before I found the drains blocked.

It is not hard to get to them at all. 10 min job really at night with a torch. Just pull the carpet away/down either side of the transmission tunnel under the dash as in the photos. The pipes pulled loose and refitted for me without removing the metal band.
The pipes also have grey foam pipe lagging around them that you need to remove for better access.
Just beware water may gush out so you may wish to catch it. I would advise just completely pulling the rubber pipes out of the car - they are only 4" long and easy to refit, if difficult a little soapy water should help secure them back into the holes in the chassis.

I bought some foam cleaner in an aerosol with a long straw, filled the a/c box with foam and let it drain out, it was full of black bit. I have done it twice and only used half a can, I may as well use it all up.
Old 13th November 2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I would advise just completely pulling the rubber pipes out of the car - they are only 4" long and easy to refit, if difficult a little soapy water should help secure them back into the holes in the chassis.
Sounds like they're a lot easier to get at than the D2 ones.
Another good reason to take them out is to trim the outlet tips slightly so that small bits of debris don't block them.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th November 2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Sounds like they're a lot easier to get at than the D2 ones.
Another good reason to take them out is to trim the outlet tips slightly so that small bits of debris don't block them.
I forgot about that suggestion about trimming the ends (which I also did to the ones in the wheel arches).

Soaking them in warm/hot water to make them a bit more flexible also helps when refitting.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 13th November 2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Soaking them in warm/hot water to make them a bit more flexible also helps when refitting.
I go a bit OTT; boiling water and washing up liquid and they just pop back in.
Also helps if you do it after you've been for a run as the transmission tunnel will be warm too.
Though since I've trimmed mine they've been pretty good, unlike the scuttle drains!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!