A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 17th October 2017, 09:51 PM

Mine has been the same since the end of last week.... looking at Audiworld seems to be a global problem with some expectation it will be fixed soon!?
Old 17th October 2017, 10:37 PM

Is it possible to get any of this on a late d3 with 3G with hard drive and joystick ?
Old 18th October 2017, 06:53 AM

Thank you Paul - I shall see what Audi UK say.

Cheers
Mark
Old 18th October 2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
Hi,

I have or should say had Google Earth working in my 2015 D4 from day 1, however this morning it stopped working. Normally nav starts off in 3D mode then flips to Google Earth maps after a minute or two, however got a message saying that Google Earth was restarting and did I want to revert to standard maps or continue with Google Earth. I selected Yes to continue with Google Earth and got a splash screen, as in IT’s post above showing the Google Earth logo and either please wait or restarting. It stayed for the 35 minute drive to work, and had exactly the same experience coming home for an hour’s journey.

Nav is still fully functioning and showing ok in the display between the dials, and if I hit the “back” button, it immediately reverts to the 3D maps.

No settings have changed my side.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Mark
Exactly the same for me since Monday. I assumed I buggered it up trying to clear a fault code but perhaps not.....
Old 18th October 2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
Thank you Paul - I shall see what Audi UK say.

Cheers
Mark
Keep us posted, was hoping mine will be working again when I get back from working away tomorrow.....
Old 19th October 2017, 04:24 AM

Widespread problem methinks.

My 2011 4.2TDi Google Earth displayed the restarting screen but never loads.

Talking to two friends who have 2013 & 2016 S8's they also have the same problem.

Maybe Google have changed their API and Audi have not updated their systems to suit?

Be interested to find out what the issue is and when it will be resolved...

-=Glyn=-
Old 19th October 2017, 06:35 AM

Looking at a couple of other places there are two thoughts at the moment, first that there is an upgrade going on, and secondly a catastrophic failure that they are working to restore. Consensus seems to be the latter as it was without any warning and no current timeframe to restore service, but as I understand it is is affecting everyone with this generation of MMI Nav with GE in ANY Audi (don’t know about other marques though).
Old 19th October 2017, 01:24 PM

It doesn't appear to be affecting much other than the A8/S8 as I asked the Master Tech here at Northampton Audi this morning and only this morning he setup Google Earth display in a different model Audi.

I can't remember which model he was referring to but as I expect to see him before I leave I will ask the question.

Also as my car is in having the MMI updated then by default I will probably end up with factory settings and that in itself might be enough to prod GE back into life...we shall see.

My problem was that my MMI 3G+ was only ever displaying 2G even though I have an O2 4G capable SIM in it. I realise it will never obtain a 4G connection but before it was updated last time it did apparently display 3G although that was with a GiffGaff SIM.

The Master Tech here was going to try his GiffGaff SIM in my car as he knows it picks up 3G/4G in suitably equipped cars parked outside.

I would love to have a 4G/LTE connection and would gladly source a new 5F module but nobody can confirm that it would work in an A8.

Doesn't stop it being at the top of my retrofit list though!

-=Glyn=-
Old 19th October 2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynH View Post
It doesn't appear to be affecting much other than the A8/S8 as I asked the Master Tech here at Northampton Audi this morning and only this morning he setup Google Earth display in a different model Audi.

I can't remember which model he was referring to but as I expect to see him before I leave I will ask the question.

Also as my car is in having the MMI updated then by default I will probably end up with factory settings and that in itself might be enough to prod GE back into life...we shall see.

My problem was that my MMI 3G+ was only ever displaying 2G even though I have an O2 4G capable SIM in it. I realise it will never obtain a 4G connection but before it was updated last time it did apparently display 3G although that was with a GiffGaff SIM.

The Master Tech here was going to try his GiffGaff SIM in my car as he knows it picks up 3G/4G in suitably equipped cars parked outside.

I would love to have a 4G/LTE connection and would gladly source a new 5F module but nobody can confirm that it would work in an A8.

Doesn't stop it being at the top of my retrofit list though!

-=Glyn=-
What year is your car? I had a new 5f fitted as the very early ones whilst technically supporting 3g, only supported a single waveband that has now been phased out in the UK for 4g services - hence would only ever connect at 2g speeds, as a hardware limitation.

Audi eventually picked up the tab for a new latest revision 5f to be fitted (about £3k), there isn't a D4 compatible 5f that supports 4g.

However the radio is a sub-component in the 5f unit, so can be changed (not by Audi, aftermarket). I had a price (£100's) to put a 3g radio in my old 5f, not sure if there are any 4g ones but it is possible (I couldn't find the right form factor at the time, probably need an adapter card).

Also potentially fit a 5f unit from an A6/A7 that would support LTE - but then I suspect you would have other issues....
Old 19th October 2017, 02:15 PM

Hi Paul,

Car is 2011 if that makes a difference?

The previous owner told me it used to display 3G before it was software updated by Audi to overcome a Bose sound issue which was a TSB I believe although I cannot confirm that with any certainty of course.

The whole MMI was then software updated to current spec.

It has displayed 2G ever since apparently...certainly I have only ever seen 2G displayed.

I did read that in the US Audi were fitting new 5F units in areas where one of the mobile telephone providers had phased out a certain waveband but never knew that was the case in the UK also?

I would be interested in hearing the history of your 5F replacement at some point in the future in case it might be something I might be able to take up with Audi with a view to a possible replacement although I won't be holding my breath!

Was it the case that your 5F just stopped working altogether or like mine only ever displayed 2G?

I have punted Hazzy Days & Richter Sport on the off-chance that they might offer a 5F/4G solution but drew a blank.

I would also like to see if the cluster software might also be updated on the off-chance that the Lap Timer might work. It appears in the Menu scroll but cannot be accessed. Audi themselves are not prepared to update it beyond the original software and then only if there is a problem. I can understand why but it doesn't stop me asking their Master Tech here at Northampton every time I see him!

That was the second thing on my upgrade/retrofit list.

Foot-operated boot opening was the third but I drew a blank there also!

Thanks & kind regards,.
-=Glyn=

Last edited by GlynH; 19th October 2017 at 02:22 PM.