A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 12th August 2020, 01:02 PM

Default Air traffic much busier recently

One of my Raspberry Pi computers located at a friend's house in Somerset is showing lots of air traffic. It's been building over the last month or so, with last week showing a marked increase in the amount of aircraft seen overhead. This location has much greater range due to its optimal location.

My own Pi is showing similar levels of activity although mine only has a range of about 40 miles, compared to the Somerset one at around 150 miles range. The first image was taken on the 21st of July 2020, the second image from today, the 12th of August 2020.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from BONES 2020-07-21 11-03-42.png
Views:	207
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	23724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Somerset_BONES-PI.png
Views:	218
Size:	734.6 KB
ID:	23725  
Old 12th August 2020, 01:35 PM

I accidentally saw another interesting large transport aircraft yesterday, on the edge of UK airspace, a Boeing 747 DreamLifter. On it's way from Italy to I'd guess the USA somewhere.

I'd never heard of it, but it's a (very) wide-bodied 747-400 now mostly used by Boeing to transport aircraft sections (largely for the Dreamliner) from suppliers to their assembly plants.
There are only 4 and Boeing now own all of them, though they didn't used to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dreamlifter.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	23726  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th August 2020, 02:19 PM

Possibly shifting stuff for the Covid-19 cause?

Boeing's 747-400LCF Dreamlifter has flown its first COVID-19 airlift mission, flying 1.5 million medical face masks from Hong Kong to South Carolina (report from April 2020)

The Dreamlifter is one of the largest cargo planes flying thanks to its oversized fuselage, built to aid 787 Dreamliner production and part transport.

Four of the modified Boeing 747-400 freighters are currently flying with three being offered for aid missions.
Old 12th August 2020, 02:23 PM

N718BA 01/09/2007 Dreamlifter
N747BC 22/08/2001 Converted to 747-4J6LCF by EVA Air 08/2006
N780BA 17/12/2004 Converted to 747-409LCF Dreamlifter 16/02/07
N249BA 17/05/2006 Converted to 747-409LCF Dreamlifter 10/2006

I will certainly watch out for those tail numbers/registrations on my logs :-)
Old 14th August 2020, 07:54 PM

Oddly there's a BA 747 showing at Heathrow at present - G-CIVH.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th August 2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Oddly there's a BA 747 showing at Heathrow at present - G-CIVH.
According to the site http://thebasource.com/, the plane was placed into storage there on the 18th March. They appear to have them dotted around various locations.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 13th September 2020, 01:38 PM

Just saw an A380 (Emirates) going over quite low leaving LHR for Dubai while above it an AirACT 747 was leaving a big contrail at 36,000 ft going to Shannon from Istanbul.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	747Shannon.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	23906   Click image for larger version

Name:	A380Dubai.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	23907  

Last edited by HPsauce; 13th September 2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 13th September 2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Just saw an A380 (Emirates) going over quite low leaving LHR for Dubai
And another one just now, so at least 2 today!
They make a very distinctive noise and I was sitting outside having a beer on our patio and thought - that's not the sound of a common-or-garden twin-jet!
Old 9th December 2020, 05:21 PM

Heard an unusual plane noise yesterday and looking on Flightradar24 it was an Antonov An-26B. No call sign, origin or destination so it's a mystery!
It was travelling from NW to SE at a "middling" altitude, below 20,000ft IIRC.

Incidentally Emirates are still flying A380s, there's one on the tarmac at Heathrow that looks likes it's heading to Dubai shortly.
(Edit, it just took off ...)
Old 9th December 2020, 10:10 PM

Watched a video on YouTube earlier this week and it mentioned that the president Tim Clark said they would be flying the A380 for 'at least' the next decade. It also mentioned about three new A380s being delivered, and according to the planespotters website, they have 115 in the fleet of which only 15 are operational, plus another 7 on order. Hate to think of how much it costs to have 100 aircraft parked up, yet still being maintained.

EDIT: Found the video. It's on the "Dj's Aviation" channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNyLSjm6I2w

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds

Last edited by steamship; 9th December 2020 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Video link