A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 28th November 2020, 07:36 PM

Default light help

ok guys as you know im not good on this computer stuff , so please feel free to move or edit my post
i need more light from my headlights , my other vehicle has leds and are much brighter or show more light than my D3 S8
i would like ideas please like whats the best bulbs , can i put leds in and also i seem to have a problem with my drivers door the self close has stopped also the self lock unlock is not working ,, oh and the parking sensors are constant. ,when i use reverse the camera stays on for a bit when im in drive , really starange,,
i have brought a VCDS from rosstec but i have the mac so im just waiting for a windows laptop then i will plug it in, Then i guess the fun starts , also i need a faclift drivers side fog lamp and surround if anyone can point me in the right direction
sorry to drain it out but i really appriciate any help thankyou
Old 28th November 2020, 08:52 PM

S8 I guess will have HID headlights so going to LED will not bee that simple and also not that much improvement over good working HIDs. Bulbs do get weaker with age so replacing bulbs with a new pair of Philips X-treme Vision or Osram Night Breaker can bring decent improvement. Another thing is that reflectors burn out with time for HID lights so they are not shiny anymore and does not reflect light as they should. Audi does not offer any projector units on their own but there are number of generic aftermarket units. I suppose you could use LED for the additional full beam bulb.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 29th November 2020, 05:46 AM

im not good with computer stuff either..
and VCDS is a nono for me..
anyway good luck with it..

so the headlights are not brilliant on the D3 anyway compared to new LED ones on newer cars..im not sure what to suggest tbh but someone might on here..

the rear camera staying on for a while is quite common ive had that on a few cars and id say nothing to worry about..

the parking sencors is easy with VCDS im sure it pinpoints the faulty one which sends the lot out..
however if you put the ignition on and reverse gear DONT START IT put your ear to each parking sencor and they wil tick very quietly,the faulty one wont..

the self lock button, i drown mine in WD40 and pressed the button 1000 times (well maybe not 1000) and it cured it..
THE BUTTON STICKS DOWN SO CHECK THAT ITS THE SAME HEIGHT AS THE OTHERS

soft door close is a much bigger issue i think..

Fog stuff = try our sponsers or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fit-For-A...k/293727179273

Last edited by roberto; 30th November 2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 29th November 2020, 05:08 PM

thanks guys im on it
Old 29th November 2020, 05:49 PM

I'm fairy happy with the light output but you can replace it with some branded bulbs (HID/Xenon) as suggested.

The parking camera stays on when you put it in driver until you go over a certain speed (probably 5km) so nothing to worry about.

With the door, they are both common issues but should be separate. The self opening is due to the handle failing. The soft close is due to the self close motor failing, usually a microswitch. There is a thread here by someone who repaired theirs.

As for the foglamps, roberto has made a couple of suggestions although they are still available from TPS/Audi
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 2nd December 2020, 08:24 PM

fog lamps and covers on the way
door has started working again ????
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V10ERR View Post
fog lamps and covers on the way
door has started working again ????
Was the battery low?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 3rd December 2020, 03:42 PM

no just started
i also noticed that the door lock is working again, i had to open the read door with the key near to make all the locks open , now its all working again so i guess it could be loose connection in the door harness .im gonna investigate