A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 10th June 2016, 02:34 AM

Default Getting damp from under dash.

Hi guys.
Only noticed this the other day. Had the heater on "lo" and when i got out of the car my left ankle was wet. Im getting dampness fron both footwell inner sides. (Driver left and passenger right)
Any idea what or why this would be and a cure?
Old 10th June 2016, 05:46 AM

is your carpet wet, is it the drains blocked
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 10th June 2016, 11:12 AM

The carpet is wet yes. Its running down from the dash area but only the wall of the carpet not the floor if that makes sense. Where would i be looking for these drains to check?
Old 10th June 2016, 11:50 AM

theres the plenum drains which i think are the outside ones that get bunged up with leaves and crap, or the inside ones which run down just behind the carpet either side if the console. someone will be along to say any technique to do these ones

on mine it was the inside ones. i also was hearing a sloshing noise when the ac was on, basically filling up the ac box with water.

to do these you pull back the carpet round about the place where the console sweeps upwards and you will see the tubes, there is a fiddly little connector joining the pipe there , undo the connector, let any water go in to a bottle, then blow the downward pipe out with an air hose to get rid of crap. i put some paper under the car so i could see it was defo ok and coming out.

same both sides, i took out a large ice cream tub full of water from mine. i left mine to late and the water got in to my bluetooth phone unit (under passenger side) and caused the whole mmi to crash. only fixed when i removed the BT and put in a most loop.

or you can go to audi and pay the 3 grand they wanted to fix it.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 10th June 2016, 01:44 PM

3k sounds very reasonable...... haha
No its ok il do it.
Now heres another question then.
My heater fan control unit does not have a button that has AC on it. But it gets very chilly on low. So im not actually sure if the AC is a built in feature or an optional extra or what.
I have a sunroof but the last 2 cars i have had have come fitted with both AC and sunroof. So im unsure if it could be an ac bottle filling up.
Old 10th June 2016, 01:59 PM

thats ok you have climate control with the auto buttons etc dont you

not sure ive seen an 8 d3 without air con

Old 10th June 2016, 03:33 PM

Your car has Ac Rick it's automatic depending on settings and temp selected.not on and off like older cars

The plenum drains should be kept on top off especially if you park under trees

The Ac drains as mentioned have on occasion been clogged with seeds in some posts I have seen on the net but both are diy jobs

There's a few posts in here about drain cleaning, sunroof drains are another weak point on these and need regular cleaning

Old 10th June 2016, 03:49 PM

this is a link to a useful page that del put up when mine needed doing

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...rdrainsD3.html

Old 10th June 2016, 10:48 PM

Cheers guys. Appreciate the info. Looks like my saturday is sorted job wise!!
Old 11th June 2016, 04:43 AM

My front sunroof drains seem to block every 8 months or so, easily fixed by blowing some air down the drain tubes from the sunroof opening. You need to get a good seal to build a small pressure, thus forcing the crap out the other end of the tube. At some point I'll affect a more permanent fix by removing the arch liners and properly clearing the ends of the drain tubes.

Not had issues with the plenum or interior drains yet, mine is a 04 reg with 153K on it.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles