A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th August 2015, 10:44 AM

Default A particularly sad day... but D3 now or D4?

Apologies that I've not been too active of late but I have been watching the shenanigans going on here when I flop at the end of the day. Love this forum.

Well, here we go: sadly I have written off my beautiful D3. A flukey 17-20mph clip of the curb, to avoid being hit by a white van recklessly careering towards me, and at such an angle that a) the steering rack buckled and b) the subframe cracked in 3 places (at one part sheared in two). My dear uber-mechanic Duncan Slade says if I tried it 100 times again it wouldn't happen.

At least nobody got hurt but gutted doesn't come close to describing how I feel.

Once I have been through all the insurance business another A8 is absolutely-no-doubt-about-it-definitely happening, but I wanted to reach out for hard-won wise advice from forum members:

I sat in a D4 recently and I have to say I was really taken with the internal layout. More ergonomic I thought. You know where this is going...

Are there members here who have gone from D3 to D4? Would love to read your thoughts on the switch. Pros and cons and indifferences.

And then there is also the diesel (which is what I had - 3.0) to petrol conundrum.

Regards to all in advance...

All hail the 8.

David.

Last edited by d.f.; 15th August 2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 15th August 2015, 01:17 PM

Sorry to hear about the demise of your '8. I too would like to know others' impressions of the D4 compared to the D3. I sat in a D4 a while ago, and while the interior felt updated, it didn't impress me if I'm being honest.

I'd be interested to know how the economy of the more modern TDi range compares with my D3, and any other differences...

John

P.S. Great (US)comparison between D3 and D4 here:

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s...hs-d4-2866829/

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.

Last edited by Johnmed; 15th August 2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 15th August 2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
Great (US)comparison between D3 and D4 here:

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s...hs-d4-2866829/
Ha! Useful comparison piece, thanks John. Don't think I'll be stretching the extra £6-ish+K for cupholders.

Though maybe this IS where I've been going wrong... could be a strong missus point.

At one of the Forum A8 meets (Castle Coombe) i got nattering to a couple of chauffeur drivers parked opposite where our mob were hanging. They were driving D4s and were similarly bemoaning the boot space as compared to the D3s and actually preferred the D3.
Old 15th August 2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.f. View Post
They were driving D4s and were similarly bemoaning the boot space as compared to the D3s and actually preferred the D3.
Must be the same as the D3 compared to the D2, is it the added equipment requiring electrickery that reduces boot space?

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 15th August 2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
...is it the added equipment requiring electrickery that reduces boot space?
Don't know the answer to that. Be good to find out..

Further to investigations I went and sat in another D4 today at the Audi dealership (so a brand spanking new one rather than a 2011 model I'd most likely spring for). The driving position definitely feels more "sunken" and "cockpit like" because of the height of the drivers armrest, which is kinda cool. The MMI controls definitely feel in a better position being more forward towards the dashboard so I would suggest safer for fiddling with while driving. This I like the most, and also the more subtle, low-slung gear stick.

I do rather like the slightly sleeker / shark like exterior look of the D4, however, it could really have done with standing on 20" rims which, IMO, vastly improves the look of both models.

I am certainly tempted as of today... but the price would have to be very right/an out-of-the-blue steal for me to plump for one over a D3.

Last edited by d.f.; 15th August 2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 15th August 2015, 11:04 PM

The design of the D4 is such that a lot of the electrics for the rear end are put into a void between the back seat and the rear of the boot, so reducing the boot by quite a few inches (about 6-8 Inches from memory). It's even worse should you ever decide to go for the hybrid 2 litre A8 with electric power as the base of the boot is also raised a number of inches to accommodate batteries etc which meant when we had one on loan from Audi that one of our drivers couldn't even get proper luggage for only 2 people into the boot at Heathrow and ended up putting one large case onto the front seat which is just ludicrous

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 16th August 2015, 09:07 AM

The 2015> D4 facelift drastically reduced the size of these electronics thankfully.
Nearly three years ago, we had a new 2011 D4 for 2 weeks when my 2006 D3 was in the bodyshop. There is a writeup somewhere.
It didn't ride as comfy as my D3 and was a bit noisier in terms of road noise, but quieter in terms of engine (both 3.0 TDI).
The interior is the next step in modern design and high quality materials. It is an even nicer place to sit.
The 3.0 Tdi in the D4 is even better than the D3 and the 8 speed gearbox feels far more direct and much less slurry, but having said that it would occasionally thump around town in a way that my 6 speed doesn't.
If I had to replace my beloved D3 though, it would have to be a D4, simply because I have already had the D3 for 4 years and keep my cars a good few years so if I got another D3 it would be too long with no change.

After having the D4 and getting the D3 back it did not seem old/leggy/clunky/tank-like or anything like that, even the wife commented on how nice it was.
Old 16th August 2015, 12:05 PM

It's a tricky choice... the entertainment/electronics in the D4 are a load better, but you could get an awful lot of D3 for low end D4 money

I know.. I know..

Old 16th August 2015, 01:04 PM

I can feel your pain here as my 3.0 TDI D3 was financially written off in May when an elderly lady decided to suddenly pull out of a sideroad. Minor enough damage to the front corner but the potential new parts bill meant a 2004 car with 250k miles was not going to be repaired by her Insurers.
I faced the same choice but having spent over 5 years in the D3 clocking up all those miles, I sort of wanted a change as I rarely keep my cars for so long.
I ended up buying a 2011 D4 SE Executive with the 3.0 TDI.
The D4's worst feature is definitely the much shorter boot. In my opinion the D3 is also better looking motor and wouldnt be mistaken for an A4 or A6 like the D4 does. Penny Pinching is also evident in places such as the seat heating controls. The build quality just seemed better on the D3.
Overall though, I have no regrets with my choice. The 8 speed box is fantastic and the consistent 5-6mpg more is also welcome given the miles I do. Google Maps on the Sat Nav, Wi-Fi and a much more modern MMI make the Cabin seem light years ahead in ways. If you can justify the expense of a D4, go for it.
Old 16th August 2015, 06:48 PM

I have to say this but it seems what you guys are looking for is a D2 S8? Never gets mistaken for an A4 etc, it's got a huge boot and, if you want new sat nav /dab radio plus iPhone or android connectivity, fit a Pioneer avic f77! If you want better mpg fit Lpg. Capital depreciation is low too.