A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 28th December 2016, 02:47 PM

Default Cornering Foglights

Apparently it's not that new a thing (Mercedes have done it for a while and some others) but I've only recently been noticing it and what it is... When turning or indicating the corresponding fog light comes on too.

Is it just me or does it look silly, like you've put your fog lights on but one doesn't work and that it it's not so easy to see their indicator when approaching? I've nothing against a proper cornering light, but using the fog light seems/looks a little cheap and a somewhat half hearted effort.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 28th December 2016, 02:56 PM

Funny you should mention Mercedes, I've noted a number of Mercs over the years with a single fog light on and just assumed it is poor build quality rather than intentional! It does look odd.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 28th December 2016, 03:00 PM

There is an option in VCDS that allows you to do this on some audis as well, I know the mk2 TT and B8 A4 do, sure there is many others as well.

I suppose a lot of it depends on what your fog lights look like in the first place but I think it's a good idea
Old 28th December 2016, 03:01 PM

I also remember seeing it on an old Top Gear episode where they drove people home from a night out (they had motorbikes that could fit in the boot of a car). James May was driving an A Class and always seemed to have only one fog light on!
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 28th December 2016, 03:12 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Haven't heard of cornering fog lights before.

I suppose if it helps to better illuminate the road you're turning on to it might have its benefits (though DS-esque turning headlights would be better). I have noticed a lot of newer vehicles now turn off the corresponding headlight though (presumably to make the indicator more noticeable), which seems completely counterproductive to lighting the way.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 28th December 2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 28th December 2016, 03:30 PM

Just last week (driving the Touareg). Pulled away from kerb then waited for someone to cross. He came over to the drivers window and thoughtfully let me know that only one of the fog lights was working.
Using foglights. That's how you do cornering lights badly. They don't illuminate where you're about to turn into anywhere as well as the dedicated cornering lights on the 8.
They also use this cheapskate method on some Beemers
Old 28th December 2016, 03:49 PM

I'm glad to say that the turning headlights on my Volvo seem to do it "correctly". But I guess you would expect that.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 28th December 2016, 04:57 PM

A lot of French tat does this too, as well as some Skodas iirc. I think it looks dumb although having never driven anything with it I can't say whether it helps or not.

My Dad's C-class has funky headlight lenses which can change the beam pattern so that works more like the DS and points the beam in the direction you're turning
Old 28th December 2016, 05:28 PM

facelift D3's have cornering lights built in to the headlights as standard i believe.
cars with the fog lights doing the same job are as common as muck these days.
Old 29th December 2016, 08:06 AM

The Infiniti has proper DS-esque swivelling headlights, at first I thought it was a gimmick but on some of our local twisty roads it is a real help. Lights up the corner before you turn in and gives you a couple of seconds extra illumination.

Bosch and Hella used to sell spotlamps/foglamps with a 'cornering' function built in - used accelerometers and an extra bulb to bend the beam in to the corner you were turning in to. Very expensive from memory.

...Quote from Hella USA:

Combining a driving beam with a cornering beam, the DynaView cornering light from Hella might be just the ticket for night drivers. These beams automatically light up a corner as you turn into it, activated automatically using an electronic control unit called IntelliBeam, which measures, Hella tells us, the lateral acceleration of your vehicle. On straight road, the cornering light is automatically switched off. The DynaView is offered in 12- and 24-volt versions and is supplied with a custom wiring harness. Contact: Hella, Dept. FW, 201 Kelly Dr., Peachtree City, GA 30269, 770/631-7500, www.hellausa.com.

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk