A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 13th May 2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
One of the suppliers I use has a full reversing camera set for 250quid, I'm still resisting tho...
I'll have to take note of that.
Could be a wedding present to myself.

Nice write up.
Can't beat a good write up with nice pictures.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 9th June 2014, 04:12 PM

....aaaaand as it happened, I actually won a DAB module with the harness during the raffle @ The Annual Meet 2014 which was kindly donated by Ian
Thank you once again

I like OEM as well and any retrofits so far were inc. OEM stuff, but on this occasion I may use advice given to me after winning it, which is installing a non OEM aerial instead of changing the amplifier.
I wont be installing a TV as I really don't need one at all, so upgrading amplifier to one with DAB and TV connection is an option for me but not preferred one.

Question, what type is the aerial connection on the actual DAB modul?? Is it a SMB type??
How about fitting a good aerial in the boot somewhere as suggested instead of at the top of the rear screen??

Cheers

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 9th June 2014, 05:31 PM

It's a fakra connector for the antenna. I just got the tv,dab aerial amplifier from allegro.pl for 40£ so maybe have a look there? I'm doing DAB, TV, RVC soon, got most of the parts already.
Old 9th June 2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jza8 View Post
It's a fakra connector for the antenna. I just got the tv,dab aerial amplifier from allegro.pl for 40£ so maybe have a look there? I'm doing DAB, TV, RVC soon, got most of the parts already.
I know that mate, but thanks, checked the web this morning and asked my suppliers as well, but as mentioned, I'm looking into a quick fit, plug and play without running the cables this time.
I know its the fakra connector, but whats the name of the plug if I want a plug and play aerial, it looks to me like a SMB type but without the fakra style connector with lock.

And how about fitting location in the boot, anywhere really for good reception??

Cheers

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 9th June 2014, 07:07 PM

Probably not ideal in the boot, but my guess the best would be under the rear shelf/rear window, so it's not surrounded by car's body? You could connect it temporarily ant test for the best place.
Old 9th June 2014, 07:59 PM

It is a fakra connection onto the DAB module, if I remember its the black one. Fakra is basically an SMB connector with an extra housing to hold it in place.

Before I went all OEM, I was thinking of either under the parcel shelf or the top of the rear window under the trim that hides the amp.

I was looking at this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAB-active...item43be0fa4e2

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain

Last edited by Somerandomguy; 9th June 2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Add ebay link
Old 9th June 2014, 08:34 PM

Cheers, thats what I thought, normal SMB just wont have the locking function and square housing

your link look a bit thick and very wide, +10db, I was thinking something like 23db gain
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-CDX-D...item51ba55dc6f

or even stronger hence boot location to the panel or boot inside, something like that, is than higher gain really better??
96db gain
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zorro-SMA-...item2c65e0ca16

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 10th June 2014, 06:12 AM

I would be in the higher gain=better camp and go for the second one - I can lend you my crimper and you could even put the proper connector on it.

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 10th June 2014, 06:19 AM

Not necessarily, higher gain works for both signal and noise. Sometimes if you have too strong signal you have to use attenuator to make it work properly, especially if you have 2 or more fairly strong signals in close frequencies from different transmitters.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 10th June 2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomguy View Post
I would be in the higher gain=better camp and go for the second one - I can lend you my crimper and you could even put the proper connector on it.
Cheers mate
Have you got a proper one for VAG connectors????
That would be great mate, but I would need one more for rewiring (retrofit) xenon range module, around 50m or wires and plenty of connectors to do.
Will let you know.
Thanks

Coming back to the subject.
Do you guys now by any chance whats the gain on the installed OEM aerial and would having two aerials, OEM and the additional one with high gain, cause any problems, and if yes what are the chances??

Is having an aerial attached to the body work from inside, high gain one or just 35db lets say, an option at all??

Cheers guys

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10