A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 10th July 2016, 11:49 AM

Default Changing rear coil springs on D2

D2 Sport suspension on my car sagged on one side by about 2cm. In fact, I think both sides sagged, plus there's a difference between the sides too.

So I wanted to buy Audi OEM rear springs for my car and change them.

Is this a DIY job? I guess I need a spring compressor tool that will work with D2 in terms of geometry.

Did anyone do this job 'at home' ?
Old 10th July 2016, 12:07 PM

I've done it on my lift, but tbh its do-able on the ground just the same. The challenge as you noticed is finding spring compressors that can fit in the space.

Something like this would be most suitable I think:

You need something which goes in from the side as otherwise the lower arm and / or the body is in the way. It helps if you drop the lower arm by taking the two inner bolts out, but that could get tricky on the ground as it's hard to get everything back together. You do need to compress the spring a lot to get it out because the upper platform is about 30mm thick.

Mine was sitting lopsided because the bottom coil broke off one spring. That one was easy to get out, but the other one did need the control arm loosening with the threaded bar type compressors I have.
Old 10th July 2016, 03:09 PM

I had a mechanic change mine on the old D2, he did without spring compressors. From what I recall if you unbolt the shock from the lower suspension arm you can get enough movement on the arm to just about get the spring in and out.

When replacing the springs its also worth replacing the upper and lower spring cups.

Mine were done along time ago using new spring cups and secondhand springs, parts availability is likely to a problem now. Looking at ETKA a lot of parts for the D2 are now discontinued at Audi.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 10th July 2016, 09:04 PM

Cheers Mikki and Mannyo

Will try to unbolt shock from lower suspension arm hopefully it'll be possible to change spring on the ground.

Will ask TPS availability of springs and cups.
Old 24th July 2016, 08:45 AM

Springs, lower cups, upper cups and lower bolts and nuts for shock absorbers arrived today from TPS. Everything is still available. £400. Wonderful.