A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 22nd July 2016, 07:26 PM

Default D3 suspension rises after standing for week

Hi there,

My d3 s8 has been standing for a week. The suspension ride height looked very low. When I opened the door, it hissed and the car rose by at least 15cm before getting in and starting. Is this normal or sign of a leak in the air system?

After normal drive, no further droop and no hissing.

Thanks for any advice, experience or suggestions. I have vcds but not sure how to test compressor.

Thanks

Richardracer
2006 Audi S8 V10 Now Sold. Akoya Silver with black/grey leather, standard 20" wheels, hybrid TV, Bang & Olufssen audio, Heated seats front and rear, Dension ipod integration, DAB radio, keyless entry, rear electric blind, bluetooth connection to Apple iphone6S. Started at 60,000 miles end April 12. Now 171,500 miles as at Oct 2017. Now sold to fellow forum member.
Old 22nd July 2016, 07:46 PM

When I got back to my D3 after leaving it for 3 weeks it had also dropped a little, and also rose as soon as I woke it up before starting the engine.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 22nd July 2016, 07:50 PM

Any droop like that is a slow leak in maybe a strut or line

Old 22nd July 2016, 10:12 PM

It's possible to both test the compressor Psi and individually test the front and back axles air suspension using the modified label file for VCDS that Delboy found (I've done this recently). If the car wasn't started for a week then it may well have dropped on its suspension but if it is ok in normal use then sounds like nothing to worry about. If you are at one of the upcoming meets at either castle Combe or Beaulieu then I'll bring my vagcom and show you how to do that

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 23rd July 2016, 08:08 PM

Mine always drops down when left for long periods.

I got no leak, no errors and reconditioned pump.
I think its normal.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 25th July 2016, 12:21 PM

From what I read, the car self tests it's levels every 2, 5, then 10 hours when parked. Then after a while stops checking to save power.

It is normal for it to sink when parked a little but 15mm may be a bit strong.

Mine can sit for a week and it will go up a little bit it's sports air so it doesn't climb heaps. Check with vcds.

Mike

04 A8 - 4.2 Sport

Indigo Leather Sports Seats - Sports wheel - Sports Air Suspension
Auto Boot - Double Glazing - AMI - Solar roof
TV - Bose - Voice Control - TPMS - AFS- TINT
Power Blind, Fingerprint - Light package (in and out)

Retrofits:
OEM Auto headlights & rain sensing wipers
OEM Bluetooth phone
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Reverse Camera
OEM Aluminium Package
Auto boot close using remote/door button
Old 25th July 2016, 05:30 PM

I have to disagree, if the car sinks noticeably over a 3-4 week period then there is a leak somewhere and its most likely going to be a strut, that said if its fine after leaving it for a week then I personally wouldn't go looking to repair it quite yet.

Last edited by Delboy; 25th July 2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 25th July 2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
I have to disagree, if the car sinks noticeably over a 3-4 week period then there is a leak somewhere and its most likely going to be a strut, that said if its fine after leaving it for a week then I personally wouldn't go looking to repair it quite yet.
I suppose it could also be a reservoir or a check valve leaking also, but the only way to tell is to inspect all with some soapy liquid spray and see if you can physically see any bubbles etc plus check for any codes that have popped up

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 26th July 2016, 06:28 AM

Yes Neil there is a possibility of the valve block leaking internally and we would never find that out unless it was removed from service and bench tested but that's out of the realms of normal folks testing.

The reason I bring up the struts is plenty on the US forums have had similar leaks that are slow and they turn out to be struts, one test that they try is to park it in lift mode then apply jacking mode.

The theory behind it is the bag will be unrolled to a different spot and may stop the drop or make it worse depending on where a pin hole in the bag might be.

It's not unreasonable to see how they are the most likely candidate for leaks, they are the only moving part and they have a fat girl sitting on top of them with countless hot cold cycles on the rubber.

There is also the corrosion point where the brass valve fits to the aluminium canisister, worth paying particular attention to that area for soapy bubble testing.

Old 26th July 2016, 09:24 AM

This is something I need to investigate on mine.

Merc's also have a common problem with leaking struts. Here's a good write up.
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/air-sus...isit-workshop/

Having read various information here and there a 4mm drop per 24 hours is permissible on the VW Tourage. Couldn't find what is allowable on the D3.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 28th July 2016 at 08:11 AM.