A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 20th July 2016, 01:19 PM

Default Component Protection

Hey Guys

I have found a chap that can bypass component protection without needing a trip to audi every time. Just needs the replacement component and the existing component to do the job.

I had him work on my replacement MMI Control module yesterday and it worked without triggering component protection.

Just thought it would help others on here perhaps. As an audi enthusiast, i know how frustrating component protection can be.

Ranjeet
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012

Old 21st July 2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanjS8 View Post
Hey Guys

I have found a chap that can bypass component protection without needing a trip to audi every time. Just needs the replacement component and the existing component to do the job.

I had him work on my replacement MMI Control module yesterday and it worked without triggering component protection.

Just thought it would help others on here perhaps. As an audi enthusiast, i know how frustrating component protection can be.

Ranjeet
You can actually buy the Mmi head unit with cp removed
Mainly from Poland.
You don't need to send your old one
Old 28th July 2016, 12:05 PM

So i'm currently calling my closest dealerships to ask about the charges for removing component protection. some tell me they never heard of it, some say they're allowed to do it because of policies set out by Audi UK and some simply won't do it for any reason whatsover..

can some of you who had this done successfully at a dealership share their experiences with us please.. many thanks..

on a 2nd note.. lets say if i replace the CAN gateway from a donor car, is it that module itself that will be affected by component protection or will the whole car be affected.

and what if i put back my original CAN gateway, will component protection still be active or go away?

thanks

Currently:
2015 Audi A8 4H Sport Executive Quattro in Monsoon Grey
Old 28th July 2016, 01:43 PM

I too have had my local Audi dealer say they apparently don't know what component protection was when I fitted a new HVAC panel and needed protection removed. So I put it in for them to charge me the standard £60/half hour for them to sort out the issue.

Another time when I fitted a new CD changer they removed it and fully understood the issue.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 28th July 2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeldub View Post
So i'm currently calling my closest dealerships to ask about the charges for removing component protection. some tell me they never heard of it, some say they're allowed to do it because of policies set out by Audi UK and some simply won't do it for any reason whatsover..

can some of you who had this done successfully at a dealership share their experiences with us please.. many thanks..

on a 2nd note.. lets say if i replace the CAN gateway from a donor car, is it that module itself that will be affected by component protection or will the whole car be affected.

and what if i put back my original CAN gateway, will component protection still be active or go away?

thanks
Audi VWSC can remove the component protection and they are on the edge of London.

http://www.audivwsc.co.uk

They have done some work on my Audi and several other forum members.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 28th July 2016, 02:53 PM

I fitted a Q7 Gateway Module 4L0907468B to my A8 as part of my RVC retrofit.
It didn't trigger any CP. I read on the net that replacing the CAN Gateway doesn't affect CP and it was true.

Last edited by snapdragon; 28th July 2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 28th July 2016, 03:17 PM

I too have replaced the gateway without trigger cp

I also fitted a new cluster, local dealer (Lowestoft) was a complete arse and wouldn't do it and the one in Norwich (same company btw) was like yeah bring it in, only charged half hour labour too

Old 28th July 2016, 05:41 PM

Does it require an online connection to Audi?

There must be software out there that can do it
Old 28th July 2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Does it require an online connection to Audi?

There must be software out there that can do it
Yes, it requires online connection, there is software available but its licensed and costs several £K to purchase and annual maintenance on top.

Audi will do it for about 1/2 hour labour providing you have VAT receipts for parts, some will do it without though.

Audi VWSC will do it, they have online connection to Audi but as they get charged for the connection the cost is passed onto you.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 29th July 2016, 09:57 AM

I replaced the standard dash cluster for a widescreen ACC one and Swindon Audi removed CP for £60 Charge, discounted down from £90
The mastertech there had no issues and understood why it was needed etc

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs