A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 24th May 2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefferle View Post
I’m considering that I may have a defective PCV/Crankcase breather-oil separator valve. This would actually make some sense as it is located at the back of the engine near bank-4.
If you remove the oil filler cap whilst the engine is running and the variation in engine speed / rough running improves significantly then it is likely it could be the PCV valve for sure

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 25th May 2019, 08:16 PM

Thanks Architex,
I’m still trying to sort out my misfire issue and +25 fuel trim on bank-4 so looking out for anything abnormal.
I’m prepared to replace Lambda sensor and clean injectors but i understand the inlet manifold flaps can break off and cause the mixture to be off...

I’m taking it all apart again on Monday but VCDS activating the intake manifold test first and will inspect with a camera. Otherwise I’ll continue on to remove and service injectors and replace Lambda S1 Bank-4 while i’m At it. Fingers crossed...

Thanks again...
Old 29th May 2019, 07:47 PM

Update

Ok so all apart again.
Completed intake manifold activation test with VCDS and flaps look perfect.

I have removed the injectors sending to service and test. I had one stuck injector and after waiting on the eBay sourced, FSI removal/installation kit - injector was removed fine.

Research on eBay I found: Injectortune in Wiltshire, can do these injectors so fingers crossed all returned by next week. The challenge now is replacement seal/fitting kits. So far China has these with 2-week lead time. Waiting on Audi to quote...

I’ll update as this develops (this is taking rather long)

Cheers
Old 29th May 2019, 08:23 PM

James at injectortune runs a D2 S8. Or at least did in the past. He did 10 injectors on mine. All good...
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 21st July 2019, 06:06 PM

Default The sage continues lean codes and V10 rough idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kele View Post
James at injectortune runs a D2 S8. Or at least did in the past. He did 10 injectors on mine. All good...
Hi all, so now all injectors serviced by Injectortune, and refitted with new installation kits, new Lambda sensors bank 2 and bank 4, new Oil separator fitted, and still having this intermittent rough idle. After spirited driving the CEL is on again with the following codes by VCDS:
Bank 1. System too lean at idle. P2187 - 004
Mixture regulation Bank 3 range 1. P1081 - 004 - lean limit exceeded - MIL on.
Mixture regulation Bank 4, range 1. P1085 - 004 - lean limit exceeded.

Looking at the above can anyone suggest additional checks... it looks to be a vacuum leak... possibly?

I can not remove the oil filler cap with the engine idling due to tremendous vacuum - is this normal? On other web threads this points at a faulty oil separator - please let me know what is normal.

I’m at my wits end on this car - so much work and No cigar...

Thanks guys,
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:24 AM

From memory the oil seperator / pcv valve isn't hugely expensive on the D2 so perhaps its an idea to change it and see if it resolves things and gets you back to smooth running

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:33 PM

Thanks Architex,

I have ordered a new breatherAGAIN but the more costly one. The £38 one was only recently fitted and must be a dud.....

I’ll report again on progress.

Cheers,
Old 30th July 2019, 08:06 PM

Hi, today a fitted another new PCV oil separator and also vacuum tested the fuel tank breather solenoid valve N80 (tested ok). Started the engine and I am now able to remove the oil filler cap with engine idling (well I couldn’t before). So it just goes to prove that cheaper parts on EBay £32 compared to the better £80 Bosch part makes one hell of a difference in quality and function.

Next step - check VCDS for Lean operation after completing my recovery from retinal detachment surgery, hopefully early next week.

Fingers crossed,
Thanks again folks!
Old 30th July 2019, 10:03 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 5th September 2019, 04:48 PM

Update, well a few hundred miles later and all is well with the car. Idling smoothly, starting and running very well and no engine fault codes - great.

Thanks for all your comments and support��

It’s been a costly and time consuming project to get this car up to the level it’s at. Thinking on a new project now so may consider selling the S8 next.

Cheers