A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 7th March 2011, 03:25 PM

Default Where to get 12v supply for LED lights

Im thinking of experimenting with some LEDs on the front of my D3, anyone know an easy place to hook up 12v supply switchable when the side lights are on
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 7th March 2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello View Post
Im thinking of experimenting with some LEDs on the front of my D3, anyone know an easy place to hook up 12v supply switchable when the side lights are on
Surely using the same supply as the side lights would be the simplest??? Or are you asking where abouts in the car you will find said power supply ???

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 7th March 2011, 03:55 PM

Yes I dont mind using the side light wiring, but hoped someone would know where, the best place toget to it and what colours to use etc, im guessing i have at least a 10 pin socket going to the lights which means 10 wires to choose from. i would normally be more adventurous but the electrics in this car scare the C**p out of me
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 7th March 2011, 04:00 PM

Aah yes, I am the same-not overly keen on tinkering with the wiring on the D3. Thats why I haven't ever fitted my S6 running lights... I know that the second I touch the car wiring-the world will implode

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 7th March 2011, 04:12 PM

Exactly theres too much to go wrong to risk playing as i would have on any other car. like the sound of the S6 running lights, but wasnt sure if they would fit well. and its tough finding some at the right price, im not a fan of the aftermarket bolt ons so i was trying to do something a bit more discreet.

ive tried hiding a strip above the headlight so it cant be seen (using external power), bulbs pointed downwards, it lights up the front without showing any leds which was quite nice, but now ive bought some more which will throw light out forward also hopefully without bulbs being seen. idea is to get a strip of light above the headlamps without showing cheap leds

if it doesnt work ive only lost a tenner

Old 9th March 2011, 04:02 PM

I wouldn't personally wire into anything existing. They are so sensitive.

Hard wire where needed.
Old 9th March 2011, 06:12 PM

mmmmmmmm, does that entail taking half the dash apart to get it to the fuse box

Old 10th March 2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
mmmmmmmm, does that entail taking half the dash apart to get it to the fuse box
fuse boxes are at each end of the dash. Just pop the end panels off and they are there.

I have hard wired a meter from the drivers side fuse panel and it's fine

Old 10th March 2011, 06:29 AM

did you have to unhook it to get to the back or did you use an existing fuse? i presume you got it from behind otherwise wires would show

Old 10th March 2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
did you have to unhook it to get to the back or did you use an existing fuse? i presume you got it from behind otherwise wires would show
I used an existing fuse. I did take it from the front-but when the cover is back on you can't see anything at all. Also great for access to check the fuse I added and remove as/when I renew for a D4.

No one is going to want to have a look at my fuses at the end of the day are they