A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 11th October 2020, 09:16 AM

Default front strut

hi does anyone know is there a top bearing on the front strut as there is some clicking from the top of the strut.
thanks in advance Trevor
Old 11th October 2020, 11:09 AM

Is it knocking? When does it do it? Have you checked the upper control arm bushes?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 11th October 2020, 12:37 PM

None that I'm aware of. I just undid four bolts at the top, as can be seen in the attached image of a strut. As homer suggested, it may be the upper arms, both the bushes and if the bolts are tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audi-a8-d3-front-suspension-air-spring-bag-4e0616040.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	24148  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 11th October 2020, 09:11 PM

cheers guys the upper arms was replaced last year with febi ones but there seems to be a jingle noise from sounds like the top of the strut .
Old 12th October 2020, 12:04 PM

"both the bushes and if the bolts are tight" that gibberish was supposed to suggest that after you check the bushes, also ensure the bolts are tight. Soon after getting the S8, I replaced the front wheel arch liners and discovered that the top two inward bolts for the arms were loose. One took a complete turn to tighten, the other literally had a 1/4 inch gap (that's how I spotted it).

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds