A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 19th June 2016, 10:16 AM

From the symptoms on...
https://www.scribd.com/doc/20322431/Repair-Manual
Just a thought...

Oil level too high
Danger of loss due to splashing, formation of foam, strong increases in temperature at highroad speeds. Loss of oil via breather; among other things, burned clutches and shifting problems can result.

Do you think your oil could be too high or foaming due to aging, or maybe the breather is defective in some way (not sure how it is designed) but there can't be many reasons oil would come out of the top.
Old 19th June 2016, 12:46 PM

Well I had a call from Audi on Friday telling me that their master tech now thinks it could be oil from the turbo... FFS... how do these people become "master" techs ??!?! The oil that feeds the turbo comes from the engine sump and they just told me that the engine oil levels are OK. The oil leaking out is clean, yellow, thick and all over the back of the gearbox and nowhere near the bloody turbos.

Either they have no clue what they're talking about, they're guessing or they are assuming I'm dumb and they know full well how to fix this in a matter of a couple of hours and are wanting to charge me top dollar for it.

It's going into Chester Transmissions in the morning and they at least should be able to tell me if it is ATF or engine oil and if the former, where it's coming from and how to fix it. And at probably a fifth of the price of Audi. However, I'd also like to know WHY this has happened, when the car has only done 60k and is very rarely driven hard and spends 95% of its life in "D" just wafting along.

Will keep you all updated on the verdict tomorrow....
Old 20th June 2016, 12:20 PM

Just got back from Chester Transmissions. What a thoroughly friendly, knowledgeable and helpful bunch.

Their opinion is that it is "gear oil" that is leaking and NOT ATF and that it is coming from the transfer box at the end of the gearbox.

I will book it in for repair in the coming week or three and they said that the engine and box won't have to come out and they just drop the back of the gearbox enough to get this transfer box thing off. They said it could be as simple as a gasket or it could be something like the seal separating the two boxes. He did caveat the diagnosis by saying that the leak could have been caused by wear in which case the box may need more work or even replacing or reconditioning. They won't fully know until they strip it down but that the leak wasn't serious and more of a weep.

He then took me out for a drive in my own car afterwards for a quick check and said that the gearbox was spot on and nice and smooth, changing perfectly and doing everything it should, but would benefit from a fluid/filter change after doing 60,000. They will do the gearbox fluid/filter service with the sucky-squirty machine too at the same time as the repair too.

They had half a dozen RS6 gearboxes in varying stages of strip on the bench too. He was showing me all the bits and pieces and telling me how they work and describing where he thought mine was leaking from.

Very interesting visit and excellent facilities.

Last edited by Lee S; 20th June 2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 6th July 2016, 01:24 PM

Well the repair has been carried out along with a full transmission service, including ALL the parts and oils for £700. Can't complain at that price at all.

Apparently, they'd never seen a fault like it before and put it down to a faulty/failing gasket between the gearbox and centre diff. They replaced this gasket and the back to back seal between gearbox and diff and replaced the manky, emulsified gear oil with new and bolted it all back together.

What a fantastic service and a really nice bunch of guys. Seriously cannot fault them. The box was smooth before but it's like hot butter now. They also mentioned that the box was in very good nick with virtually no wear and the ATF was in quite good condition too, but hey... prevention is better than cure.

So all in all, well done Chester Transmissions (and miserable fail, Audi Service) and I'm a happy bunny again.

Case closed.
Old 6th July 2016, 02:08 PM

great result

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 6th July 2016, 03:12 PM

Good to hear a happy ending. Do you intend contacting Audi again to have a discussion about their performance (lack of)?
Old 6th July 2016, 04:27 PM

Well done on finding such a competent professional company in your hour of need. £700 is very reasonable as the transmission service would account for £400 of it. I think a letter to Audi UK wouldn't be a bad idea as this could have cost you thousands.
Old 6th July 2016, 07:34 PM

Great to see a resolution

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.