A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 6th February 2020, 03:44 PM

Default No SIM slot in MMI

Afternoon all, new Audi owner here
Sooo, my 2013 A8 doesn’t have a SIM slot, doesn’t show ‘Audi Connect’ on the MMI and most importantly, doesn’t show traffic (which I assume it would if it could connect)?
My MMI is 3G and I have recently upgraded firmware and maps to the latest versions.
I have read through a few threads about swapping out units etc which seem quite expensive.
As a lower cost option, I am hoping to do is
• plug a 4G dongle into a small router (usb powered),
• RJ45 Connection out of router to a RJ45 - USB A adapter,
• into the USB - MMI cable I currently have plugged into the MMI socket under the drivers armrest (which works for music via USB stick and power to the phone)
Does anyone have a clue if this would work? If it did, I assume I would need VCDS then to enable the Audi Connect feature?
Any assistance / knowledge would be greatly appreciated, this is my first venture into Audi land so I am on quite a learning curve at the moment
Front & Rear Comfort seats, Seat ventilation and Massage to Front and Rear outer seats, Valcona Leather, Extended leather, Deluxe 4 - Zone Automatic Air Conditioning inc. rear comfort armrest, Keyless Go, Soft close doors, Bose, Audi Side and Lane assist, Adaptive Cruise, High Beam assist, fixed bending LED headlights, Night Vision, Sunblinds to rear and sides
Old 6th February 2020, 07:13 PM

Have a read of this thread, it is possible......

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=google

Led to products like this

https://autofidelity.com.au/product/mmi-tetherbox-v2/

Not sure on UK availability, as never had to look....

A simpler option maybe to use an rSAP enabled mobile handset (not apple) to get a data connection on the MMI.
Old 10th February 2020, 02:27 PM

Thanks Paul, really useful links.
The Autofidelity product isn't made anymore, can't find a second hand one for love nor money.
I have gone the route of a small router, 4G Dongle connected via MMI port, but until I can get VCDS sorted and the correct inputs and applications enlivened, can't do much more.
Front & Rear Comfort seats, Seat ventilation and Massage to Front and Rear outer seats, Valcona Leather, Extended leather, Deluxe 4 - Zone Automatic Air Conditioning inc. rear comfort armrest, Keyless Go, Soft close doors, Bose, Audi Side and Lane assist, Adaptive Cruise, High Beam assist, fixed bending LED headlights, Night Vision, Sunblinds to rear and sides
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:36 AM

Did it, it works
Just need to work out what to do with it
You do need to buy the correct D-link part though:
D-Link DUB-E100 High-Speed USB 2.0 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Mbit/s Ethernet Adapter