A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 25th December 2012, 01:08 PM

Default S8 brembo brake refurb

After shearing the bleed nipple on one of the calipers during a routine fluid change i decided to take the opportunity whilst it was at the machinist (involving re-tapping the nipple 'hole' to a larger thread & insert - more on that later) to order some rebuild parts for both calipers consisting of new seals and dust boots (only needed a few dust-boots).

1. Remove calipers & use compressed air to blow pistons out or if you dont have a compressor, pump them out in situ on the car with the disk removed but this will be messy and you want to keep air out if not planning a flush so keep the header tank topped up (probably need a 2nd person here).

2. Remove old dust boots by levering them out - there are two small holes (one for each piston) where you can insert a tiny flat head screw driver. (visible from the 2nd picture).(a metal ring is encased into the outer circumference of rubber that allows it to clip into the caliper. The inner circumference of rubber fits into a recess in the piston front).

3. Remove seals as pictured.

4. Check pistons for pitting and corrosion - usually none.

5. Lube and replace seals with brake fluid.

6. Refit pistons, which require some pressure! Do this how you will but make-sure the pressure is more or less even. Always use a block of wood to avoid damaging the metal. I placed the calipers cushioned on the ground and placed a section of wood across the piston fronts and applied my body weight.

Some of the dust-boots were fine so i didn't replace them. All the original seals were good with a fractional difference in diameter between the new. (After 160k).

Pictures in no particular order below & some taken from the net obviously. The one of the internal seal is the only one i could find & is from another caliper but the same principal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121207-00058.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	5384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121207-00057.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	5385   Click image for larger version

Name:	pistons281112.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	5386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-12-25 at 12.42.35.png
Views:	315
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	5387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-12-25 at 13.47.04.png
Views:	313
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	5388  

Last edited by brasiliangringo; 25th December 2012 at 01:16 PM.