A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th October 2015, 08:18 PM

Default One for IT guys

I was going to ask this in one of IT forums I am member off, but they have issue that I cannot login at the moment so here it goes:

I have currently setup Dell Poweredge 2950 server with 2x quad Xeon processors running 3x2TB in Raid 5 +1x 2TB hot spare but this is overkill for my needs and I am downsizing to HP Microserver Gen8 to reduce power costs. Currently it costs me £250-300 in electricity per year and I am expecting it to be £30-50 per year on HP Microserver. While I do like RAID 5 unfortunately HP Microservers do not support it so my choices are 0, 1, 1+0 or 0+1. I know that if I was using 4 disks it would be best to use 1+0 instead of 0+1 for reliability but I am using 1 bay for OS drive so only have 3 available. My idea is to use 2 of old 2TB drives in RAID 0 and sell the other 2, get another 4TB drive and do RAID 1 between single 4TB drive and 2x2TB Raid 0 array. Important data is backed up on another external drive anyway and very important backed up in several places including cloud.

Does it sound like a sensible idea or not.

PS if anybody would be interested in Dell Poweregde 2950 with 2x E5450 Quad core Xeon processors, 16GB of RAM, Perc 6i Raid card let me know as it will be available after I complete migration.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure