A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th February 2017, 07:06 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Default The ones that got away

Thought this might make an interesting discussion .....

Cars that you VERY NEARLY bought but were dissuaded at the last moment for whatever reason, or because you found something better or more suitable.

Before I bought my first '8 (about 12 years ago), I was looking for something a little different, something perhaps on a par with the quirkiness and rarity of the Citroen XMs I had previously owned.

A couple of cars I very nearly bought:

Subaru SVX:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Alcyone_SVX

One in particular I almost bought was a maroon coloured SVX, very much like this:

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/06/how...46k-miles.html (more photos in the link).

Another car I came very close to buying was a bright red Mitsubishi GTO (3L twin turbo I think it was), looked very much like this:

I found the GTO a bit of a disappointment; looked great but not so great to drive.

After further research I eventually started looking at A8s, which seemed to tick all the boxes. The sight of the big V8 engines lured me away from the Japanese beasties I'd been considering and I soon bought my first D2 A8 (a blue 4.2 non-sport). And thus began my Deutsche journey ...
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 14th February 2017 at 07:13 PM.