A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 16th February 2018, 09:29 PM

Congratulations on the S8 Sean, it's a beauty

Might I ask if you or Conquistador encountered any problems while removing the D3 centre console. I found the YouTube video I assume you're talking about and removed the ashtray holder, and the two screws behind it. That's where I stalled, the surround wouldn't budge, did you have to apply some force?

I only want to remove it to retrieve some coins that have slipped behind the cup holder lid and prevent it from opening fully. They can't be removed with it in situ without risk of scratching the alu or carbon finish.

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 16th February 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
Congratulations on the S8 Sean, it's a beauty

Might I ask if you or Conquistador encountered any problems while removing the D3 centre console.
Cheers. It's certainly attracting attention from family and DPD couriers.

With regards the centre console, I thought mine was stuck as well, compared to how easy the video shows it.

What I did was pry it out not from the very top, but from the sides where the ashtray used to be. I'm not sure if there's a clip or not behind it, but I applied a little bit of pressure from the inside of the console, just below the trim to be removed, whilst pulling gently upwards. That seemed to free it up. I then repeated the process on the other side, and that freed up the top of the trim. As mentioned in the video, just be careful as you pull it up past the dash.

I did manage to get out for a short run yesterday and discovered that I hadn't fitted the ashtray properly, as the cover would pop open when going over a bit of rough road. Something for me to check over the weekend.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 16th February 2018, 11:49 PM

[quote=steamship;137924]Cheers. It's certainly attracting attention from family and DPD couriers.

...this is what happens when life gets busy and you disappear off a forum for a while!

Next time you're down in Belfast give me a shout, would like to see the new car Sean

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 17th February 2018, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the reply Sean, sounds like I just need to apply a bit more pressure when attempting to remove it. The right side did seem to be moving whereas the left side was stuck firm, I'll have a look and see how it's held in position later

I should have known the video was misleading, it simply couldn't be as easy as that

Thanks again

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 17th February 2018, 09:47 AM

Remember in these videos the bloke doing it has had a dry run before videoing it. You have years of dried polish, spilt coffee and fizzy drinks in the cracks, plus the retaining clips.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 17th February 2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Remember in these videos the bloke doing it has had a dry run before videoing it. You have years of dried polish, spilt coffee and fizzy drinks in the cracks, plus the retaining clips.
How dare you, Ray?

I'll have you know it's immaculate in there, the ashtray is unused and only a thin layer of dust in evidence. It's a credit to its previous owners, including IT and roberto

I've got more time today, I'm off out to take a closer look and have another go...

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 17th February 2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiseuk View Post
Next time you're down in Belfast give me a shout, would like to see the new car Sean
Certainly can, although it's not very often I'm up in that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Remember in these videos the bloke doing it has had a dry run before videoing it.
His trim also seemed very flimsy when pulling it out and pushing it back in again, considering he was doing it with one hand.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Last edited by steamship; 17th February 2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added response to Ray
Old 17th February 2018, 07:24 PM

All sorted within an hour of my last post, great advice fellas

Undo the screws as shown and in the video, place thumbs on gear lever surround and ease trim up with index fingers, it'll pop out of the first pair of retention clips. Ease the trim past the dashboard and the leverage will pop it out of the second pair (just adjacent to the front edge of the cup holder) Watch for the pegs pulling out the clips as you ease up as they fall into the void below. I picked mine out with long nosed pliers. The cup holder fastens onto the centre console with another four torx (same size as the previous three) and undoing these allowed me to remove the coinage that had annoyed me for ages.

Spent a while brushing out dust and debris, small vacuum cleaner completed the job, reassembled in minutes with an additional £2.30 in my pocket

Thanks Sean, apologies for the thread hijack

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 17th February 2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
Spent a while brushing out dust and debris, small vacuum cleaner completed the job, reassembled in minutes with an additional £2.30 in my pocket
Can't complain about that! Cleaned part of the car, reduced it's weight a little by removing excess ballast and got paid for doing it as well.

Old 18th February 2018, 09:41 AM

SWMBO has called a postponement on my modification.
She says I have to stay indoors because I have a cold.
Can't be all bad, she just might collymoddle me for a bit.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)