A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 5th June 2010, 11:05 AM

Default Did anyone change windscreen trim?

Hi everyone,

Welcome new 2002 A8 user in the UK with 52000 miles on it.
...Now busy tiding up the car...

Purchased new windscreen trim from Audi as my current trim has some rust bubbles. Question: Can I change the trim as DIY job?

Reading Audi where I purchased the trim refused changing it saying they've outsourced all windscreen business to glass repairing company and directed me there.

I just checked ETKA and it seems the trim is fixed by 10 clips which are riveted to the chases. Can I use the same clips with the new trim or are they damaged when old trim is removed? Please, advice.

Best regards,
Sergey
Old 5th June 2010, 11:58 AM

Welcome to the forum

Sounds like a nice car, get some pictures up if you can. Can't help you with the windscreen trim but it is something I was just looking into doing a few days ago. How much was the new trim piece from Audi?
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 5th June 2010, 02:29 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Welcome Sergey,

Mkoneman has done this job. He will be along in due course and may be able to answer your question.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 5th June 2010, 03:40 PM

Nice to meet you guys and thanks for the reply.

Conan,

I'll hope Mkoneman will advise.

Singh,

The pictures are here:

http://hdzoom.autoexposure.co.uk/hdi...24705407_6.jpg
http://hdzoom.autoexposure.co.uk/hdi...24705407_5.jpg
http://hdzoom.autoexposure.co.uk/hdi...24705407_4.jpg
http://hdzoom.autoexposure.co.uk/hdi...24705407_3.jpg
http://hdzoom.autoexposure.co.uk/hdi...24705407_2.jpg
http://hdzoom.autoexposure.co.uk/hdi...24705407_1.jpg

Don't remember exactly how much I paid for it as I had ordered it with lot's of other things, i.e. fresh wiper arms and wiper blades, new cruise control switch (my old one looks faulty), parking sensor, touch up paint, etc.

I think I shelled out for that trim around GBP 170. Please, let me know if you want to know exact number and I'll check my papers. Anyway, I don't think I've got any discount with Reading Audi.

Not so many A8s here in the UK. Do you guys have regular meeting our something like that? I'd like to get involved into the community!

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 5th June 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 5th June 2010, 03:58 PM

That looks really nice, I see you have the stitched leather on the glovebox, very lush & the Xenon plus headlights. Nice colour too.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
Old 5th June 2010, 04:00 PM

Pictures embedded.
Old 5th June 2010, 04:39 PM

Singh,

I checked my papers. Paid 133 pounds for the trim (it comes with rubber gasket). The part number is 4D0 853 299 F 01C.

Regards,
Sergey
Old 5th June 2010, 04:42 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Here is the link to Mkonemans post on what he did but not how he did it.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 6th June 2010, 06:50 AM

Hi notoruis - and welcome. Good to have another local on board! I'm at Swindon, London and Oxford and other forum members are close by in London, Oxford, Bristol and Hampshire.

Check out the meets section - there is am A8OC owners club meet on the weekend of the 3/4th July and I am in the process of arranging the first South/South West meet which will probably be on a Sunday afternoon or Wednesday evening (just organising a meet venue at present). There are also lists of other meets both supported and unsupported there.

If you need a vagcom lead at any stage I have one or there is a listing of who else holds them on the relevant thread in the forum. Check out the A8OC website here too and join to get more benefits when you can

Nice looking car, looks great and with mileage that low should keep you smiling for quite a while!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 6th June 2010, 09:42 AM

Nice to meet you, Architex.

Currently I'm based in Tilehurst, Reading. I have vagcom (actually, a couple of them), so if anyone needs to be vagcomed in Reading area please let me know.

I tentatively marked my calendar for July 3-4. Not sure I can make it as apart from car I have two five year old gilrls (twins) and I'll have to bring them with myself as I can't get babisitter. But, who knows, maybe I'll get crazy and come with kids... Please post time and venue for your event as well. If it's South/SouthWest, how about Bournemounth for a weekend (or jurassic coast area)? Lot's of hotels and beaches...

I'm also looking for honest self-employed mechanic in Reading area, who's in love with Audis, whom I can trust and develop long term relationship. I hate visiting Reading Audi, as you can't talk to technitions directly and can't see what they are doing...

Last edited by notorious; 6th June 2010 at 06:43 PM.