A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 22nd September 2017, 01:14 PM

Default rear suspension bushes 2000 FL sport 3.7

just coming up for another MOT so had a look at the last one [ 3K ago ] and there is an advisory saying ALL rear suspension bushes deteriorated
tried to have a look to see what that would involved but couldn't see!

what would I need to change these , ie is there a kit or how many and what type of bushes would I need to get this fixed , not too worried about quality as my driving days are coming to an end !
Old 22nd September 2017, 03:33 PM

I'm doing the lower rear bushes on Dean's car next week. The lower arm has one single-piece bush which is £40+ from Audi or £12 from Meyle. It also has a split bush which is £22 per half, as does the hub so £180 for all 8! The upper arm has three bushes but I've not priced those as they are fine on Dean's. Guess about £20-30 each.

The rear tie rod is only available as an assembly - no separate bushes. Those are also available from Meyle. Factor in a new eccentric bolt and washer for that as they rarely come apart nicely. There's a little link arm which doesn't get much action so doesn't wear much, and also link for the ARB. I think to do all the suspension bushes its a £600-800 shopping list. Double that to do the subframe mounts and diff mounts as well.

You'll need a press or a very large vice and corresponding drifts to change all the bushes. No doubt I will be making some tools to assist with the task when I get round to it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rearsuspD2_1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	17074   Click image for larger version

Name:	rearsuspD2_2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	17075  
Old 22nd September 2017, 04:19 PM

They tend to look tatty even when they're more or less OK still. I toyed with doing them on my S8 when I had it, as I'm convinced when they age they knock out the camber on the rear tyres to the point it wears the inner edges faster.

Unless you're planning on keeping the car on the road for a long time I'd be tempted to leave it for the next owner - I very much doubt they'd fail an MOT.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 22nd September 2017, 06:42 PM

well thanks to both MJ and adrian for your replies

strange to say it takes both replies to make my strategy clear !
to do the job properly as per MJ would probably cost more than the vehicle is worth so adrian's comments about probably would pass the MOT despite looking tatty are very welcome as the car feels just fine as it is

so off to the MOT centre with fingers crossed...will be heartbroken if it fails as it is such a beautiful car to drive , but with only 110k on the clock and 30k on the transmission ex audi someone could spend the money and get years of pleasure from it [ I'm coming up to my 4th oap's licence so not likely to be me ]
Old 22nd September 2017, 09:31 PM

Adrian is right - they can look pretty tatty while still being intact. A simple test is to stick the handbrake on tightly and heave on a wheel bolt with a long bar. If the wheel moves in the arch then the bushes are past it. If the car lifts slightly but the wheel stays put in the arch the bushes are still ok. The ones on my car are pretty ugly but still solid. Deans wheels move about half an inch without moving the car!
Old 23rd September 2017, 06:47 AM

Rear bushes fail very rarely. The surface looks cracked due to age but deeper they are still fine. It's important how they perform not how they look, if there is no excess movement there is no need to change them. I had them as advisory on MOT 3 or 4 years ago and then no mention on subsequent MOT's.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 23rd September 2017, 05:20 PM

well having a long bar nut breaker left over from my motorhome days gave MJ's test a go
presuming she didn't mean jack the car up first the result was ...no movement at all !
so feeling very hopeful now!
it's a month to the MOT so will report back in due course

thanks again to all
Old 12th November 2017, 05:11 PM

well , tomorrow is the day , so fingers crossed!!!!
Old 13th November 2017, 04:49 PM

well, celebrating with a glass of red

went to a MOT centre which doesn't do repairs so not tempted to find something spurious [ they will change little things like a bulb /wiper blade FOC ]
only advisory a gator with slight damage on front but not leaking so passed ok

said screenwasher on passenger side not working properly [ advice ...ask the boss for a pin ]

discussed bushes on rear looking tatty ....said the vibrator test says works fine
so irrelevant

under £40 , so well satisfied
Old 13th November 2017, 07:40 PM