A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 16th August 2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
If you're happy I'll post it out Monday.
I'm happy if you are, don't mind the work of installing etc. even if it doesn't work. I have quite a selection of CD's to check it with and Adrian checked the 2 of his I have on Sunday at AITP in another car.
(I did in fact have 3 of his, he took one back which was burned on the "potentially least good" drive he has - hope I'm not misrepresenting that. )
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 14th September 2013, 04:09 PM

Just a little update, if anyone is interested. Some progress, some confusion.
The drive unit from Scott arrived OK but was no better (or different) than the one I already have, so I have returned it for now. Swapping is very easy.

Adrian subsequently supplied me a replacement CD created in a "subtly different"? way. And that works consistently, albeit with limited testing so far on a couple of short journeys.

The CD's Adrian sent/gave me initially didn't seem to work and I've passed a couple to Scott who also seems to have problems with them.
Hopefully between them Scott and Adrian can help each other work out how to create reliable DX CD's and check drives are working OK for sale/exchange.

So my current conclusion is that the CD I bought from t'internet has degraded over time (6 months roughly) as it is now mostly unuseable. I know they don't last for ever, being laser-burn copies, but I'd expect at least a couple of years life, so I will be in contact with the seller for an exchange as he is still actively selling these.

Apart from that it's a bit confusing, but it appears Adrian "may" have had a temporary problem making 2012/13 DX backups at first, now resolved.

As for the drive in my RNS-D, the evidence now suggests that it "may" be OK, but I need to make a few longer journeys first to be certain. If it isn't I know that swapping it out is not difficult.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th October 2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
As for the drive in my RNS-D, the evidence now suggests that it "may" be OK, but I need to make a few longer journeys first to be certain. If it isn't I know that swapping it out is not difficult.
And currently, the evidence is now suggesting that the drive is actually the problem, so I'll hopefully be in contact with Scott again to try another swap.
Old 25th August 2017, 02:38 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I've had trouble with my sat nav too recently. Very erratic as to whether it worked or not and getting worse. Tried cleaning the lens and the CD - no joy. Tried a couple of 'copy' CDs from fleabay - no joy.

Then I found an old (probably original) genuine Travelpilot CD and thought it would be worth a try - seems to be fine now.

If anyone has a more recent, genuine CD or a 'known to be good' copy, I'm in the market - just send a PM
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 25th August 2017, 02:50 PM

Drive cleaning doesn't work because the drive doesn't recognise the CD so doesn't move the lens anywhere useful for cleaning.
If all else fails you can dismantle it and use a soft brush; access isn't that difficulty with the tin lid popped off.

Try PM'ing Adrian_E, that's where I got my latest Nav CD from. It even does TMC!

How old is your working one, I might have a "fairly recent" spare?
Old 25th August 2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Try PM'ing Adrian_E, that's where I got my latest Nav CD from. It even does TMC!
I was just thinking about this, maybe I'll drop him a line, mine is quite an old version and only GB too.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Last edited by pete-p; 25th August 2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 25th August 2017, 03:43 PM

I think 2012-13 is the latest/final version of the DX maps for the RNS-D.

If you have the earlier non-DX RNS it's 2007 for the final version and those are easily copied, but the system is actually rarer than the CD!
My old S8 had that system (RNS-C?) and I still have some CD's for it.
Old 25th August 2017, 04:46 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
I think 2012-13 is the latest/final version of the DX maps for the RNS-D.
I think that's what I have. A genuine disk I bought when it was current. Cost something like £130, if I remember correctly.

Been meaning to ask if anyone knew of a later version. Mine still works but gets confused a little when I encounter a new road. Fortunately it's rare they build new roads these days!

Found myself on the new A556 bypass though recently ... satnav thought I was off-roading.

I guess there's no fix then, unless someone finds a way to hack new maps/data from a newer system into the old DX system. Shame, I use my RNS-D satnav all the time; I'd hate for it to become unusable.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust