A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 29th March 2016, 07:14 PM

Good call with the polarizing lens, never thought about that before actually but glare from windscreen is noticeable on mine too.

And I've also ordered a new rain sensor gel thing too
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 25th April 2016, 08:02 PM

Default Audi A8 LED license plate lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
I've also ordered a new rain sensor gel thing too
Nice one - i hope it all works as it should for you!

About 1 year ago, i wanted to upgrade the rear license plate lights to LEDs. I thought this would be a simple mod but how wrong i was. The screws that hold in the lights were completely corroded and i ended up taking half the boot lid apart to take them out. As a result, i had to break the old light units leaving me with this:

I then ordered a new set from A8 Parts - great as ever...

Upgraded them to error-free LEDs:

...and also decided to upgrade from the steel screws to stainless steel instead to avoid future issues.

And refit the units:

This is the end result - makes such a difference

All in all, this mod ended up taking the best part of 3 hrs when it should have taken 10 mins max. I can honestly say this has been the most frustrating mod I've done so far given the screws were coroded but i would recommend persevering and the outcome will be worth it!

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 25th April 2016, 08:32 PM

I did this mod just last week Oli, makes quite a difference doesn't it? Looks much better, well worth the effort

I think the original screws are stainless, mine had no rust but two of them refused to come out with a screwdriver and I chewed the heads up and ended up drilling them out. I followed Marcin's guide to doing the job and used double sided sticky tape to secure them.

Out of interest, what price were the replacements, I was quoted £34 for a pair from a stealer?

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 25th April 2016, 11:05 PM

one of my left side screw is shaxxed too. Any tips oli? wanted to do this my self. What are the replacement screw size etc?
cheers

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 26th April 2016, 08:47 PM

I've been looking at replacing the number plate LEDs too. Looks like you found a neat solution. They're looking good

2008 Audi S8
Old 30th April 2016, 09:26 PM

My original screws had seized too, so I bought replacement marine stainless ones from ebay and after a year, these seized even worse! Apparently stainless doesn't go well with aluminium. I replaced the part on the boot which holds the lights when I fitted the reversing camera, replaced both lamps and used nylon screws from ebay with some silicone grease on them. These are the best. I think they were M3x12 and cut to length with a Stanley knife.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181918020853
Old 3rd May 2016, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
My original screws had seized too, so I bought replacement marine stainless ones from ebay and after a year, these seized even worse! Apparently stainless doesn't go well with aluminium. I replaced the part on the boot which holds the lights when I fitted the reversing camera, replaced both lamps and used nylon screws from ebay with some silicone grease on them. These are the best. I think they were M3x12 and cut to length with a Stanley knife.
Sometimes I like being in a "Hot Country" as Audi codes Australia. We simply don't get the corrosion of any parts of a car here. I have never seen or heard of a rusty suspension component and car bodies only really show surface rust after about 30years here.

Unhappily the sun makes the tail lamp lenses crack and go brittle. So there is a flipside of the coin.

What brand of LED lamp did you use for the plate lights?

Mike

04 A8 - 4.2 Sport

Indigo Leather Sports Seats - Sports wheel - Sports Air Suspension
Auto Boot - Double Glazing - AMI - Solar roof
TV - Bose - Voice Control - TPMS - AFS- TINT
Power Blind, Fingerprint - Light package (in and out)

Retrofits:
OEM Auto headlights & rain sensing wipers
OEM Bluetooth phone
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Reverse Camera
OEM Aluminium Package
Auto boot close using remote/door button
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
My original screws had seized too, so I bought replacement marine stainless ones from ebay and after a year, these seized even worse! Apparently stainless doesn't go well with aluminium.
It's called Galvanic Corrosion. Ally and stainless need separating to stop that process, grease works quite well, if they can't be separated then an sacrificial anode is used. I imagine that it gets wet up there and stays wet for long periods. Stainless can also "cold weld" if anti scuffing paste isn't used but not normally on anything that small.

Your plastic replacements are the way forward

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 11th May 2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
Out of interest, what price were the replacements, I was quoted £34 for a pair from a stealer?
Hi Norretal - think i paid about £40 including next day delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-M3 View Post
one of my left side screw is shaxxed too. Any tips oli? wanted to do this my self. What are the replacement screw size etc?
cheers
May the force be with you H-M3 ... i ended up stripping the bootlid from the inside and unbolting the entire boot handle to take it off. Even then it was still a mare of a job to drill out the remaining screw. As Snapdragon mentioned, i think they're M3x12

Quote:
Thanks for the tip and i've ordered a set

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 11th May 2016, 06:28 PM

Default Leave it for now!

As the title suggest, gonna leave mine for now as I have bigger fish to fry. Cheers

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub

Tags
4.2, audi, tdi