A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Fuel and Exhausts

D3 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 29th January 2014, 04:33 PM

Upgrades are coming like during the F1 season, in stages haha
Just joking, but got my car 6 days ago from Hayward & Scott who had it for 4 days to finish off the exhaust.

Replacement of both back boxes to performance ones made in house by H&S

Also new cut outs in the bumper to make room for 2x 3'' round tail pipes on each side, end finish round stainless steel with angle cut, top to bottom, but asked for each two pipes on each side to by slight turned to outside on the bottom to follow the curve of the bumper.

It is LOUD !!! Especially with nothing in the centre after removing 3 'items'' in stage 1.

I didn't want it to be to bass-ey, like Subaru type, but in return I got a very deep roar which is a form of very low bass notes, if you follow me, but driving it for 6 days now in few different situations (directed it is still difficult to control noise level in certain conditions.
Point to share, more difficult while Mrs in the car with daughter
When on my own driving around city for just over 4 hours it was all fine !!!

I am confused till now, head spinner oh yeah, so far I've been stopped 4 times by different enthusiasts

Will get new sound uploads sorted soon

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 1st February 2014, 07:19 AM

That looks really, really good Marcin. I am liking this whole car, its coming along nicely. I'll have to see it in the flesh one day.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 1st February 2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
That looks really, really good Marcin. I am liking this whole car, its coming along nicely. I'll have to see it in the flesh one day.
Cheers Manny
I am almost done styling wise, mechanically very good, just that £25 compressor kit which might be required and two upper arms, all it needs now is to have re-spray done asap and I'll be then very happy ... and a little detailing

Sent an email this morning to H&S about tuning the exhaust down because inside of the car became like a inside of a subwoofer within following rpms ranges, 1900-2200 and 3100-3900
Outside is AMAZING, but the inside is an issue or I am just over reacting (I am a fan of loud beautiful exhausts), that why I gave it over a week to find new wy of shifting or adjusting the driving style slightly but still having issue with internal super low loud bass sound effect.

I'll see what they will reply, I asked about possible soundproofing a little area from the bottom, possible some thin cut put sheets between the aluminium heat shields and the body along the whole exhaust inc back boxes, possibly back boxes are up to the fuel tank.

Have you ever guys heard about possible solutions??

I asked about possibly putting xpipe because in stage one I replaced both long center runs with straight pipes replacing two small and middle boxes.
I know thats twice same job but sound isn't really as requested before the mod.
It's different, very different, and I dont mind it, I can accept different product, but car lost a lot of comfort in most travel situations and this is main concern.

Not crying, no no, I'm not feeling down or anything, is just isnt up to my expectations.

Sport gears are better sound wise than Drive, but still

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 1st February 2014, 05:46 PM

Just watched the video again as the first time it was on my phone, F00k me thats loud

Any chance of a new video with the new back boxes, before you go dumb it down.

cheers

Old 1st February 2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Just watched the video again as the first time it was on my phone, F00k me thats loud

Any chance of a new video with the new back boxes, before you go dumb it down.

cheers
May do it tomorrow morning Del

Now is slightly louder but because its sosss deep now that inside became an issue, but sounds AMAZING.

People stopped me on the traffic lights, in the traffic, petrol stations and it leaves many of them out of words

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:10 PM

So, camera couldn't cope with the deepness of the exhaust, sounds really s**t does not reflect the real beauty of it.
The comment was about taking a step back because ''exhaust was hurting his balls sack''
On, top of it I haven't realised until now that some t**t was cutting a timber outside so basic nikon was faced with real loud thunder and high notes of the saw.

Any way, will make a better one as soon as opportunity comes along.

Try adjusting the volume

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXiFr...ature=youtu.be

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 4th February 2014, 09:27 AM

Certainly has presence.

Old 4th February 2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Certainly has presence.
Cheers Del

I really want to get a better video asap because of the quality, so 'misleading' !!!

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 4th February 2014, 06:37 PM

Looking very good. I has H&S make some custom exhausts for an e39 M5 group buy a few years back. Great bunch of exhaust magicians. Those videos sound great!
Old 4th February 2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Looking very good. I has H&S make some custom exhausts for an e39 M5 group buy a few years back. Great bunch of exhaust magicians. Those videos sound great!
Cheers Dan

I love the new quad look
(I was actually considering single 3'' tail pipes ?!?!?! Why????)

But as mentioned before, video does not reflect the true sound.
I'm looking for someone with a proper camera with a proper built in mic.
Mic on the basic Nikon I got for work is just too basic, not suitable for this range of low and deep roar notes

H&S guys are really a very skilled and experience bunch of guys.
But, I will be coming back to do some corrections tho (not really happy about that, but better be back there than be told not our fault or nothing we can do).

The biggest correction is to slightly reduce low notes which Ian said they will be happy to do, either by slight mod to the back boxes or by installing x-pipe.

Then I just want to ask from what sort of stuff the boxes are made as they have matt silver finish ????? It can be a stainless steel or can be, or what other metal they could made from??

Plus, and it's not a biggy because they will have to sort that out, but it's shocking a little - I think two of the tail pipes have tiny spots of rust already !!!

Very happy after Stage 1 but mixed feelings after Stage 2.
Still positive about them cos I've seen plenty of their work and I know they are the guys for the job. They will listen, take time, everything will look neat and tidy and if there is a problem they will accept it not dismiss you.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10