A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 23rd October 2014, 07:23 AM

Default 2002 S8 Gearbox Question !!!!!

Morning all !!!!

My 2002 S8 started to play up a little yesterday. We always drive the car in drive mode. We never use sport, the steering wheel controls or even the plus / minus tiptronic controls (or whatever it is called).

The gearbox started slipping and the revs would rise but no drive. When you lift you foot off the throttle the drive would clonk back in again. I obviously know this can be a major problem with these cars and an oil and filter change might help but we have now tried driving the car by only using the gear stick in the plus minus mode and it drives perfect. Well that's assuming your driving easy. If you go for a spirited drive and the gearbox tries to change itself it still slips, but on everyday driving with you using the gear stick it's fine. Can anyone explain to me why that is, (ok when your selecting the gear with the gear stick but not when the car decides to change itself), and what that consequently tells me about my gearbox problem ?

All help appreciated !

Last edited by Ricky22buk; 23rd October 2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 23rd October 2014, 08:30 AM

Visit Chester Transmissions or Mackies in Glasgow.
Be ready for full gearbox rebuild.
Old 23rd October 2014, 08:32 AM

That sounds similar to my occasional problem. Did you get some power, so you made progress but with higher revs, or no progress at all?

Mine would actually gain speed and change up through gears if you could give it time, and felt more like the handbrake was on, though revs were higher than usual.
A "blip" of the throttle and all returned to normal, but no clunk.

I had an oil and filter change some months ago.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 23rd October 2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 23rd October 2014, 08:55 AM

Worth checking for fault codes. If bits of the gearbox are spinning at the 'wrong' speeds to what it expects because of an internal fault, it should be logged

As soon as it starts getting thumpy it tends to suggest a definite mechanical fault that will only be rectified by a full strip down :/

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 23rd October 2014, 09:55 PM

Its as if the car jumps out of gear for a second or two and there is no power. It then 'clonks' back into gear and accelerates as normal. It really only seems to be in the first couple of gears, and if you can get to four and fifth it all seems to go as normal.

Unfortunately if the gearbox does dies I can't see us throwing money at it and it could well be the end of a era for the D2 !!!!

Faults code some other night when I have a free minute......
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky22buk View Post
Its as if the car jumps out of gear for a second or two and there is no power. It then 'clonks' back into gear and accelerates as normal. It really only seems to be in the first couple of gears, and if you can get to four and fifth it all seems to go as normal.

Unfortunately if the gearbox does dies I can't see us throwing money at it and it could well be the end of a era for the D2 !!!!

Faults code some other night when I have a free minute......
Sadly, and I know it's probably not what you want to hear, that how mine started before it went, and needed a rebuild….
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:20 PM

Tin Tin....... how long did yours last before failing after the initial signs ?
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:21 PM

Not long, unfortunately - probably a month or so, from memory, before I put it into Chester Auto Transmissions for a gearbox flush, which made it much worse!. I then drove it (very gingerly...) 200 miles to Mackies for a full rebuild, not cheap, but worth it, in my case at least.
Old 5th November 2014, 01:25 PM

Having now started to drive the car myself (it was my wife daily driver) I see that the car is completely fine and trouble free when its cold and its only when it warms up that it gives trouble in the first 3 gears.

Given that scenario would you bother going to the expense of changing the oil and filter or is it still likely to be terminal ? I take on board that tin tin said after his oil change the car deteriorated very quickly !!!!

Last edited by Ricky22buk; 5th November 2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 5th November 2014, 02:13 PM

I would give the guys at Mackies a call, decribe the symptoms and see what they recommend. I found them very helpful in discussing D2 gearboxes (they said that there is no particular issue with them that makes them inherently worse than any other box - as long as you dont believe the "sealed for life" gag).

95 Causewayside Street
Tollcross
Glasgow
G32 8LT

Telephone:
(+44) (0)141 778 4545

Fax:
(+44) (0)141 778 4476

Monday - Thursday
8:00 to 5:30
Friday
8:00 to 4:30

Last edited by David's8; 5th November 2014 at 02:54 PM.