A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Our Other Audi Friends > A4/S4/RS4 B7

A4/S4/RS4 B7 2005-2008

Old 21st October 2013, 11:00 AM

Default Battery bother

I got a call while at work today from the wife saying her car won't start (A4 3.0 TDi) The car has been fine with no early warning signs of battery trouble and she only just used it yesterday, as well as the previous couple of days. I went home and took her to work and had a quick check around and there appears to be no interior lights left on etc, so I'm suspecting the battery is dying. I'll put it on a trickle charge when I get in tonight but if that doesn't work are there any common faults or suggestions anyone can make? If I do end up purchasing a replacement is there anything I should be aware of before disconnectiong the old one? I appreciate this isn't a car that many on here are experienced with but I'm hoping the common traits apply through the whole Audi range and I can save myself some trouble if forewarned

Thanks in advance

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 21st October 2013, 11:42 AM

Hi,

It may be worth passing by a Kwikfit or Halfords. They both use the pukka battery testers from Bosch i believe and will be able to tell you straight away if the battery is still ok.

...it's a quick way to find out if you need to be looking for something else
Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Last edited by Oli18; 21st October 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 21st October 2013, 11:45 AM

Nothing specific from me on precautions to take, but our c5 a6 died in similar fashion on a Monday morning even after a lengthy journey the weekend immediately before!

For new battery have a look at Bosch 5yr warranty ones on euro car parts and try discount code audsrs25 (might need to be in capitals) for 25% off

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 21st October 2013, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the swift responses guys, much appreciated

I'll keep you updated on how I get on, sounds like a battery test is the first course of action then take it from there.

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 22nd October 2013, 03:12 PM

Default Update

I put the battery on trickle charge last night when I got home from work and a few hours later it fired up at the first attempt. I took a short drive in it to see if any warning lights came on or anything was unusual.........all seemed normal. I parked it up with the intention of taking it to get tested today but came out this morning and nothing, well, not enough to turn the engine over. I put it on charge and went back a few hours later and it just managed to turn over so I took it to my independant (taking care not to stall!) and turned it off when I got there (a five mile journey) and it wouldn't turn over again.

Suffice to say, I didn't bother with the test and just fitted the new battery immediately. It's a Bosch battery with a four year guarantee and I got it at cost price so can't complain, hopefully job sorted and peace of mind for the winter ahead. It's the original battery so around seven years old so I can't complain.

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 22nd October 2013, 04:24 PM

If it did not turn over just after journey I would suspect that it does not get charged.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 22nd October 2013, 05:28 PM

I thought it either wasn't getting charge or not holding charge and as the alternator warning / battery symbol hasn't illuminated then I assumed the battery had failed quickly, maybe I'm wrong?

It turns over rapidly enough for me to realise it's been fairly sluggish for a while so hopefully the new battery has resolved the issue.

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:16 PM

You'll find out soon enough, but if the old battery was knackered it wouldn't want to hold a charge for long.

I know.. I know..

Old 1st November 2013, 08:17 PM

Default Update

And this is sorted too, still turning over quicker than Stuart Hall in his prison bed

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra